My Converted 3G Eclipse w/pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
My Converted 3G Eclipse w/pics

OK, so my Eclipse 3G filter finally died on me and I want to go full planted with the tank. I had already converted the top, removing the light ballast that years ago died, replaced with a 20w CoralLife Colormax and aluminum backing... it gets hot but I installed a paperclip to lift the hinged top of the hood open about 1/4" which does make a big difference

excuse the dirty tank in pictures please :-)

here is a pic of the planned new tank, complete with digital thermometer (the end-piece is installed at lower back inside the tank already), tube and hose holders in place on back of tank, and two lengths of 1"tube in front. As I plan to have little if any fish the only "filter" will be one of the 1" tubes, installed on left tank side, with air-stone in tube to create water flow and the tube end-capped with fitted elbow with probably amonia filter end-piece, and maybe a bit of sponge media inserted in the tube (tube is more for a bit of water flow than filter). The second tube will be angled along back of tank for use as a Co2 diffuser

Below you can see the tank better, with thermostat on outside-back-left and you can see the tube/pipe holders in place

Below you see the tank inside with tubes installed in place

the converted tank hood with light on

below, the converted tank hood with light off

I plan to start with clippings from my 29g planted tank, with green crypt and red hygrophila and decide on some type of "carpeting" plant. substrate will probably be black gravel with SeaChem Flourish Tabs, using additives of Leaf Zone, Flourish, and Flourish-Excel... This combination along with DIY-CO2 works perfect already in my 29g tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

first night with water and light :-)

you can just see the DYI filter to the back left. one of the short tubes, short length of air-line and air stone, topped by a bit of sponge with ammo-chips laid over the sponge. provides a gentle water motion thru the tank.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Supposed to be a compact DIY airpowered filter there.
At first look i thought they were going to be part of a sump.
Decent start, my advice is get more plants into there. Not a fan of the rocks or blue bits of gravel, but that's just me, and i understand you're on a budget so whatever works.

I do reccomend getting more plants in there with that amount of light.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettxboii View Post
Supposed to be a compact DIY airpowered filter there.
At first look i thought they were going to be part of a sump.
Decent start, my advice is get more plants into there. Not a fan of the rocks or blue bits of gravel, but that's just me, and i understand you're on a budget so whatever works.

I do reccomend getting more plants in there with that amount of light.
actually it is an air-powered DIY filter, on the left of the tank... the rocks actually look much better in person than in the pic... and as it is first-night water I'm starting small, will be adding more plants as the tank adjusts and cycles... wait a week or two for more pics :-)

and no, not on a budget really... just after a small cheap tank for my desk :-)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn View Post
actually it is an air-powered DIY filter, on the left of the tank... the rocks actually look much better in person than in the pic... and as it is first-night water I'm starting small, will be adding more plants as the tank adjusts and cycles... wait a week or two for more pics :-)

and no, not on a budget really... just after a small cheap tank for my desk :-)
If you are not on a budget then fill the tank up with the plants you want, they will help out in the cycling process. Plants don't need to be added as the tank adjusts, they help adjust the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Planted Member

Yep, the more plants, the better - even if they're stems you're not planning on keeping in there forever. No better way to get your tank up to speed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
nice...

check out what I did to my 3 gal:

took an incandescent fixture out of an old 10 gal hood screwed it on where the filter used to be (filter died). I have no filter now, just air bubbles. it's been setup like this for almost 3 months. I started w/ 6 cherry shrimp, now I have prob 20+. There's also 11 CPD's in there temporarily.

these pics are from FEB 08.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Join today!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK so I took advice and added a few more plants - some dwarf sword in front right, red hygro in middle back, another stalk of crypt behind the first in middle, and some of the "weed" plant from my larger tank placed temporarily into the top of the log on left ( i long ago forgot what it is but it grows and grows and grows... - wont leave it in there)... also you can see some of the hitchiker red ram snails. I also placed 4 ghost shrimp in it... still wanna add a few more swords and red-hygro in the coming week.

The red hygro in there now are standing taller/straighter now :-)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try taking the picture without flash will seem more clear.
Amount of plants in is decent but for some reason the light looks somewhat (left side doesn't look too lit up) unadequate.. but that's just me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the lopsided lighting is true, thats unfortunately a result of the mounting/type of bulb used. the tank is definitely brighter on the right-side. I am compensating for that by having most plants in middle/back/right, dwarf sword in front right, and left dominated mainly by the log.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode