Planting a fish bowl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planting a fish bowl

I just set up a nano planted tank today and I wanted to show to you guys.
I read up on the DIY Co2 setup last night and I wanted to try it.

I woke up this morning and poked a hole in a bottle cap, then I forced a piece of hoes through it. then I used some acrylic sealant I had.

drying out on top of the tv

I have a microscopic mode on my camera so I took these cool pics

I went to the store today and bought a beta and some plants that kind of match the colors. You can't see the colors very well in this pic though. I'm not sure what kind of plant it is, I know they told me, I just don't remember.

I had this old fish bowl and I wanted to set it up with some plants and put it in the window.

I have an undergravel filter for this bowl, I put some fresh carbon in it.

I got a "stone" that makes fine sized bubbles and put it on the end of the hole going into the filter.

the reason I did this is because I want to try to get as much Co2 into this tank as I can without going all out with a huge project (I found a design to do it for $35 and I am going to try that on my 30 gal)

I will be bringing in the Co2 along with regular air, I put a T junction on the hose, I also put a stopper on the hose going to the Co2.

I picked up a bag of Eco-Complete to use for substrate. This stuff is so expensive that I'm not going to be able to buy it all at once for my big project, so I am trying to buy a little at a time until I have enough for my 120 gallon. I am only using a few handfuls of the stuff in this little bowl, the guy at the store said that the rest of it should stay good as long as it stays wet. so I put it in a big trash bag, opened it carefully, and made sure to close it up tight.

then I put in the plants...

I set up the bottle and the air pump first, just to make sure I knew where everything was going to go.

the very last thing I did was put into this bottle 2 cups of sugar and one 1/4 oz packet of yeast (not pictured).
do you think that will be enough? should I change the mixture? this is my first attempt so please give me any advice you have.

I haven't put in the beta just yet, here is a picture of the whole thing.

so, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
The plant is non aquatic, its called a purple crinkle plant and it will foul your water in a few months. I would aim for Ludwigia and a floater and switch that out quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Very interesting! I once pruned back my anubias and put them in a fish bowl on a east-facing windowsill with some guppies, crappy colored gravel and it grew faster than I'd ever seen anubias grow. You might want to move the fan off to the side so the plant recieves more light.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
Very interesting! I once pruned back my anubias and put them in a fish bowl on a east-facing windowsill with some guppies, crappy colored gravel and it grew faster than I'd ever seen anubias grow. You might want to move the fan off to the side so the plant recieves more light.
I have had the same result with anubias. I put it in a small jar and set it near a window and it was a weed. More light on the plant in his fish bowl will only prolong its death. You can however keep the leaves above the water and the stem under water, this is how my mom propogates her Purple crinkle plant in her garden.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I only bought it for the color.
Not too worried about it, I'm just playing around right now anyway.

So can you recommend some colorful plants that would be good to put here instead? I still have the receipt and I have 48 hours to return the plants.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

some more pics

I took some more pics around sunset, some of these came out really nice.

This one is my favorite!

Whats that white stuff?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Take out those non aquatic plants. Youll just kill the betta

Get some hairgrass or riccia or anubias center piece for your tank.

For all you Aussies!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well if thats not meant to be put in a fish tank I was mislead at the store. these plants were in aquariums and were sold as such.

I really like the Riccia. All of the anubias I saw were just a basic green, are there any plants that have a little more color to them that I could put here? I actually bought these plants for the colors, I didn't know anything about the plant when I bought it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I couldn't find the Riccia anywhere online.
where are some good places to go to get plants?

I found some plants I like. Can you tell me if they are especially bad for this spot?

Thinking of this for a center piece
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants....ROD/AL/DALS372

I was thinking it would be cool if this grew up out of the little bowl
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants....PROD/BP/MMCHFI

I like this hair grass
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants..../PROD/SAP/DHPQ

but I like java moss better
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants....P/PROD/SAP/JMD

any thoughts?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM

The first will get too big i think, the others should be good though, maybe a bit of the grass or moss and a couple sprigs of the moneywort
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
unfortunately it's not uncommon for terrestrial plants to be labeled and sold as aquatic...they'll live for a while (like James said 10 posts earlier), but will soon begin to die and rot, fouling your tank. take them out now to prevent yourself a headache later.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Quote:
I couldn't find the Riccia anywhere online.
I have some I can send to you for the cost of shipping if you want. Are you interested in the long (slender) or short cropped (spiny) riccia?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh thank you!
I guess just send it COD?
I could only find one picture of the riccia and it looks short, what does the long variety look like?

I still have time to return those plants I think I will.
Can anyone recommend a reliable online store?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:58 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonelse View Post
Oh thank you!
I guess just send it COD?
I could only find one picture of the riccia and it looks short, what does the long variety look like?

I still have time to return those plants I think I will.
Can anyone recommend a reliable online store?
YES! The swap and shop on this forum. I have recently purchased quite a few things to get my planted tanks going. Everyone has been extremly nice and everything came as expected and in GREAT shape. If you don't see somebody selling what you want just ask and somebody will speak up and have something for you. VERY cool people here.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Please do the betta a favor and get him a tank instead of a bowl.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode