Sharing my 4 gal. Finnex.....(56k warning) UPDATE 5/14 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
Sharing my 4 gal. Finnex.....(56k warning) UPDATE 5/14

Well I started setting this tank up on April 14.

I bought this tank because I have so many snails I get tired of just thinning them out to throw them away every weekend. So I might as well breed them for food for a Dwarf Puffer that will be kept in this tank. It should be entertaining to watch the DP hunt. I dont mind a few snails but these snails are beasts, Busy Beasts, and I thought my Platys were bad.

I am still cycling the tank but I thought I would try to get a little feedback on it so far. So here it is...........

EQUIPMENT:

Finnex 4 Gal. Rimless
Finnex 30GPH HOB filter
13 watt CF bulb
Flourite substrate
Flourish root tabs
Hydor Mini Heater 7.5w

PLANTS :

HC
Downoi
Corkscrew Val (Died from excel)
Marimo Ball
Flame Moss
Bacopa caroliniana
Ludwigia repens x arcuata? I think.

FISH :

2 - Dwarf Puffers
1 - Ottos
5 - Ghost Shrimp

I put mulm from my 55 gal underneath the flourite to speed up the cycle process, as well as the corkscrew val from my 10 gal. I hopes this helps.

Here are a few Pics:

1st Pic

Checking to see how much Flourite I need.

Emptied and Spray painted back of tank.

Rinsed and Rinsed and rinsed Florite and put back in tank. I tried to make a little cave for DP, Sorry I take terrible Pics. You cant really see the depth.

All feedback is appreciated good or bad. It cant be any worse than the things my mother said as I was a teenager, She never held her tongue, and she still doesn't.

Thanks,
Rekles75

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.

Last edited by rekles75; 05-14-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks good so far. I really like that little cave that you made. Did you paint the back or is that just a background? If it is paint, what kind of paint did you use? I hope you keep us posted with your progress and more pics. I can't wait to get my 4 gal finnex.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
looks great! Cant wait to see this step by step

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used spray paint for Plastic. I saw someone else use it in their journal (sorry I cant remember name to give credit), but it worked great. It took a couple of coats and about an hour an a half to dry.

More pics coming now.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok Here a few more pics after filling and the after putting in plants.

If some pics are out of order, please excuse I took these last week and I am just getting around to trying to do a journal.

These are close ups of the cave.

Front

Right

Left

Filled Up and planted

I really like the cave. That explains all of the pics of it.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile

Ok here are a the last of the pics I have so far. They are close - ups.

OOPS i forgot to turn the flash off.

Kind of close

Downoi (Thxs Rupey), Moss ball, and a plant I clipped the top of off from my 10 gal.

Close up of cave with HC (Thxs niko),

Full view I forgot to mention the Flame moss (again Thxs Rupey)

Well thats all I have for now. I will definately try to keep this journal up. I am just looking a DP. I dont really want to order online Could be too much stress for the little booger. If anyone has ideas let me know.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

Looks really nice. I love that cave man, that was a really good idea!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
The cave looks sweet. It will be interesting to see how the HC fills in around it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Off to a good start! I'm interested to see how the HC does as well. It's only 13 watts of light. Get some Excel!

No Pimp Club.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments eveyone.

Yeah I was thinking about putting more HC in along the front left, I still have about a 2x2 portion of it floating in my 55g. It is just a tedious plant to work with in the flourite.

Roybot : It is a 13 watt PC flourescent. I have listed as a compact flourescent which is wrong. But in any case I started dosing with a half a cap of excel every 3rd day this week, because I dont think I will do DIY CO2, the difusser would look too big in the tank. I had already bought the diffuser an everything, I just didnt like it in contrast to the scape.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok I got my DP' s today I will take pics as soon as they get acclimated to the tank.

They are already attackinga few of the snails I put in the tank.

I am so excited.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Planted Member

Update?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is really not much to update, my DP's are still hiding from me and my Corkscrew Val is melting a little. I heard that Vals do that when you move them from one tank to another so I will give them a week or so to see if they recover. I am dosing them with excel every other day and Flourish and Flourish iron every week.

If the Vals dont make it I may go with regulars Vals or Vesuvius.

If I can catch a shot of the DP's I will definately post pics.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:02 AM

PTrader: (13/100%)
Excel will 'melt' your vals.
Excel = no vals.

Just thought I'd let you what happened to my vals when I dosed with excel.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
x2 ^^ Vals and Excel don't mix well.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode