stinxo's 5g Nano Journal (new pics 8/19) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
stinxo's 5g Nano Journal (new pics 8/19)

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Been looking at all these beautiful nano tanks you all posted and have finally gave into my urge and started my own. I am planning to have a simple clean scape with just a few rocks on a lush green ground.

Tank: 5 gallon AGA tank
Substrate: Eco Complete
CO2: DIY Yeast Bottle with Mini Glass Diffuser
Lighting: 18W 6500K U-Shaped Compact Fluorescent (Desk Lamp)
Heating: Ghetto Walmart 7.5W Mini Heater
Filter: Red Sea Deco Art HOB
Flora: HC, Dwarf Hairgrass
Wildlife: Haven't Decided

So I decided to take the top rim off the AGA tank. Used an exacto knife to carefully separate silicone from the trim. Was pretty easy to remove the trim off, but damn, did it take forever to scrape off all that extra silicone on the glass. The edge of the glass was a little rugged at certain points so I used a fine grit sand paper to sand the top edges nice and smooth. It helped remove the extra bits of silicone pretty nicely too.

I then tested the tank to see if it would leak or break. Seems fine. However, with the tank filled up, the thin glass (I believe it's 1/16") did bulge out quite a bit. About an eighth of an inch in the center. Pretty nervous about all the water making a big mess, but seems that many of you have done it and it is holding up fine.

Tank with the rim off:

I had picked up some rocks from the beach around sf. They seem to be this brownish gray granite stones. I'm not really digging them too much but will give them a try.

..pardon my old digital camera and my horrible photography skills -_-'

Now will get to planting the HC and Hairgrass. Update later. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by stinxo; 08-19-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks nice! Look forward to following the progress of the tank. Keep us updated!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Excellent.

Welcome to the forum

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

nice nano tank... keep us update...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

planted..

So I am having quite the backache planting dwarf hairgrass and hc. I would like to give big props to anyone would planted them in their big tanks. Just this tiny tank and I was having my patience really tested!

On a side note, this Eco-Complete stuff is really inconsistent. I literally had these huge pebbles in the mixed. It wasn't very easy getting hc to stay down in these larger sized substrate on the top layer. Something like Flourite Black Sand would probably be best for these tiny plants, but I wasn't able to find any at the LFS's.

Had quite a lot of plants with me so I didn't break up and spread out the portions as much I should. Hopefully it will be sufficient and grow fine.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Simple and beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are a couple more pictures with all the equipment set up.

My tank is set on my wine fridge.

Currently my lighting is only at 18W. The CF bulb does seem really bright though, but I am not sure if it'll be enough to support a healthy hc and hairgrass carpet. Can anyone chime in with their experiences on these planted nano tanks and their lighting? I guess I'll see how it goes and maybe look around to see if I can find some stronger lights. Haven't had luck with hairgrass in my previous experiences.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
i would just wait and see how things go.Looks great by the way
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:21 AM

I like it but why did u cut the grass?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
That tank has a lot of potential, but for some reason the design doesn't look nature to me. You might want you lay the big rock down on it's flatter bigger side. Also, the landscape might be a bit too flat so try to uneven it out a bit more. I'm assuming you're trying to go for an iwagumi so look up some pictures of it to see what other people do. My personal favorite for this style is rocks sitting on top of a hill with hair grass around it and HC covering the empty area. That's just my .02

92G corner - huge colony of frontosas, 1 spotted plecos, 2 spotted raphael catfish, 2 clown loaches, anubias on rock
2.5G - Iwagumi - HC carpet/rocks
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:52 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
cool, i just bought my first real plant substrate today, eco comp. anyway, i set up a 10 gall tank like this a few weeks ago using hairgrass and hc and i reallly shoulda put some kinda divider in so that my hairgrass wouldnt invade my hc, but it is still lookin nice, i just used river sand and its been working out great, good luck, oh, and maybe he cut the hairgrass so that it would spread faster?

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CL; 04-27-2008 at 06:21 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Stinxo: nice tank equally nice iwagumi styled setup. A suggestion: turn the tank around, meaning the side with big rock sitting next to the wall. Why? because once everything starts to sprout nicely, the big rock's gonna be a great backdrop rather than it sitting on the front now. The idea is to make the tank look bigger than its size. With the big rock in front, everyone and anyone looking at your tank will focus on the big rock instead of what's around it.
diablostr: Hairgrass is usually trimmed back to about 2 inches prior to planting to encourage growth. Its also good practice to plant in small clumps of 2-3 sprigs (not sure what you call it), my reasoning behind that is to ensure the plantlets do not 'fight' over the nutrients within the substrate.

Irregardless of the type of substrate I use (of course I've never had the $$ or budget to try ADA), I always add a tablet or 2 of root enhancers namely Ferrite Tablets; this is to encourage rooting growth.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are some long overdue updated pics of my nano. The plants have been growing steadily under my relatively low 18w of lights. Battled some planaria/nematode infestations during cycle, but they subsided pretty quickly once the tank matured. Hairgrass is starting to invade into the HC and all i can do is just yank the runners out one by one.

Still don't like my rocks and the layout too much, but haven't found the effort to seach for nicer rocks and rescape it yet.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Its beautiful! Everything has spread nicely.

You should find an aquarium safe leprechaun to put in the hairgrass :P

Is the dimensions of the tank 16lx8wx11h inch?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
nice growth!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode