Planted 8gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted 8gal

I recently bought an acrylic 8gallon tank. I got a 50w heater and am gonna get a 20w light and a filter this weekend. I also got sand as a substrate. What I want to know is which filter would be better, an interal power filter or a HOB? also i want to grow some of thosh floating plants(can i place them in the substrate?) and java moss, can i do this with the current set up? And how many neon tetra's can i place in this tank? Regards :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
You said you want to grow floating plants, but put them in the substrate? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If you just want a floating plant (like frogbit, duckweed or water lettuce) and java moss you should be able to grow that in the set-up you have. It might not grow quickly, but it should stay alive. Try checking out the El Natural forum on www.aquaticplantcentral.com, you might want to go with a set-up similar to that. It's basically what you have right now, but you add top soil underneath your sand for some extra nutrients.

As far as the filter goes, I prefer HOBs to internal power filters because I prefer to take up as little space as possible in the tank.

I'm not entirely sure on the number of neons, but I would probably go with 5-6.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes. I bought floating plants but i want to plant them. And how can I make the java moss grow fast?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In order to make the java moss grow faster you need to give it all the things that any plant would need, i.e. nutrients, light, and a carbon source. Unless you want to get into the high-tech realm, I would just be patient with the java moss and let it run its course. You can try using some natural light to help the process, but you'll have to keep a really close eye on the tank to prevent algae.

What kind of floating plants did you buy. If you can give me a name or picture and I can help you with whether or not they can be rooted in the substrate. If you want something that can be planted in the substrate as well as float on the top of the water or above the water, look for a stem plant that can be grown both submerged and emersed, e.g. Hygrophila difformis. I have heard of cases where those plants actually grew out of the water and that might give you the effect that you want.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I planted the floating plants in my 75gal and it grew like crazy! Any way i got a hang on back filter that pumps 80gph. Is this sufficient? I also got a 18w light at the lfs. Is this enough? And it looks like 2 small flourescents next to each other but its joined at the top can you tell me what type of bulb this is? CF maybe?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That filter sounds like it should be sufficient. The light should work as well, provided you're staying with low light plants. Also, the bulb you described sounds like a CF bulb.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Will diy co2 help the plants grow? Or isnt there enough light yet for co2?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's my understanding that adding CO2 will pretty much always help plants grow.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
My fastest growing moss tanks are my 1g daphnia tubs in the window. They are just water, daphnia, and fairly indirect sunlight. I generally overfeed the daphnia with fish food, so fairly low light, lots of extra nitrate/phosphate, and then add in maybe 5 grains of miracle gro every 3 or 4 days.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I recently set up a 5 gallon planted tank. Mine is JBJ. I have a giant piece of driftwood on the bottom and then filled in around it with silica sand. I put an 18 watt 6500K compact flourescent bulb in place of the one that came with it. I didn't end up needing a heater because the submersible pump heats it (a little too well). I am using a 12 oz pop bottle (those miniature ones) with yeast/sugar water for CO2 injection. Currently I am growing christmas moss, four leaf clover, vallisneria and some unidentified plant. They're all growing like crazy. There is also 6 neons and two guppies in there and they're happy and healthy. Typically the more 3 dimensional your tank decor is (more hiding places), the more fish you can house, as long as your biofilter can keep up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode