*UPDATED..FINALLY** Finally got my 2 8x8x8" nano cubes! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
*UPDATED..FINALLY** Finally got my 2 8x8x8" nano cubes!

I got the 2 cubes a few days ago, and the filters and heaters came in today. So I decided to set it up and see how it all looks like. I picked up that lamp today also at homedepot. It uses a 6500k 18watt bulb.

The filters Im using are the Red Sea Nano filters, and the heaters are the 7.5watt Hydor mini heaters. They're the flat black heaters. Since I dont want to look at them inside my tank, I shoved them inside the little filters. It works great.

Anyway here's some pics.

That Voss bottle is where I keep my Excel in. I just thought it looks neater in that bottle than in that bottle it originally comes in.

Tell me what you guys think

Last edited by Raimeiken; 05-22-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
where's the plants?

I like the cubes, if I recall correctly you got them for $15 each? That's a pretty good deal.

I know you're worried about the light not being enough, but I think you should just see how your setup does with the plants you want before shelling out more money....you'd be surprised what can grow under what light with a little patience.

Plant heavily to begin with, as if you're not using high light and CO2 it will take a while to fill in.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah I did get them for $15 each! it was a steal! These clear glass cubes usually go for $50, that is if you can even find them in stores.

Im still brainstorming on the scape of the tanks. I was thinking of doing an Iwa gumi style on one of them and the other is that I'll put flourite on the sides of the tank and put a path of sand in the middle.

Im not really sure, I have so many ideas in my head right now!

Actually, my Original plan was to get two of these 12x12x2" Clear glass square bowls and put them underneath the cubes. Then put something under the front of the cubes so it will have a little slant going to the back. Then I was going to extend the tubes of the filters and make them suck up water from the 12x12x2" bowls underneath and pour it into the cube, then the water will run back down the back of the tank. It would be a nice effect seeing the water run down the back of the tank. Then plant it iwa gumi style and also put some substrate around the bowl and plant some HC all around it. It would be so cool, but the problem is that I cannot find these 12x12x2" square bowl anywhere! I cant find them in any stores or even online. The only place I found them is in this website where I got the pic, but they're out of stock. And also they cannot ship them, they're only available to be picked up If you guys know where to get these, let me know!

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
A kitchen store. You can get normal pyrex pans that'll do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimeiken View Post

Actually, my Original plan was to get two of these 12x12x2" Clear glass square bowls and put them underneath the cubes. Then put something under the front of the cubes so it will have a little slant going to the back. Then I was going to extend the tubes of the filters and make them suck up water from the 12x12x2" bowls underneath and pour it into the cube, then the water will run back down the back of the tank. It would be a nice effect seeing the water run down the back of the tank. Then plant it iwa gumi style and also put some substrate around the bowl and plant some HC all around it. It would be so cool, but the problem is that I cannot find these 12x12x2" square bowl anywhere! I cant find them in any stores or even online. The only place I found them is in this website where I got the pic, but they're out of stock. And also they cannot ship them, they're only available to be picked up If you guys know where to get these, let me know!

110 Tall in progress!

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraja87 View Post
A kitchen store. You can get normal pyrex pans that'll do the trick.
I tried kitchen stores and no luck. Pyrex isnt a bad idea, but I want this one to keep the design consistent. because Pyrex have a different look on them than my cubes.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
I have that lamp at home!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yeah I got it on clearance and I grabbed the last one! I love it, it looks so sleek and modern.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, they are quite expensive though.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman9809 View Post
yeah, they are quite expensive though.
how much did you get yours? I got mine for $29.99 I thought it was totallly worth it if you compare it to other brands like Ott Lite desk lamps. Those ones go for over $50 and some over $100
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

oh, my parents got it for 49 bucks. A lot more than you did. *lucky you*
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:40 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would this lamp work on a standard 10 gallon? Can you post a link?

Thanks!
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Just a note DO NOT keep your excel in a clear bottle, Excel breaks down in light, by the time you start dosing it may be it may be too late...

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Just a note DO NOT keep your excel in a clear bottle, Excel breaks down in light, by the time you start dosing it may be it may be too late...

woah I didnt know that how come it breaks down?
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
thats pretty smart. putting the heater inside the HOB.
wouldnt it be too much for the bacteria or the filter
cause of the heat??
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I dont know. The box said that the heater only turns on when the water drops to a certain temp. There's not controls on the heater itself. It said that the heater will help raise the temp 2-3 degrees up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode