Just say NO!!....To BioCubes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just say NO!!....To BioCubes

I bought an 8 gallon Biocube in January because I wanted to do a marine nano tank...it was the worst waste of money I believe

The ballast fans make a ton of noise, and the pump is also noisy. It's supposed to be very quiet, not the case here. Save your money people and don't get a biocube!!
RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Two posts and you're crapping on something already...

I personally haven't used a Biocube but you don't have to talk about something in such a distasteful manner. Maybe you can take it up with the manufacturer of the BioCubes to solve the noise issue with them and see what happens first before posting something negative like this.

From what I know there are Oceanic is the company that manufactures them.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
All the biocubes I see set up at my LFS are silent...

Maybe an individual defect?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Gar

PTrader: (6/100%)
I know several people who have biocubes and have had no problems with them. Perhaps yours was defective? I'd take it back or talk to the manufacturer.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
My boss set one up at my store last week, and as far as I can tell, it is completely silent. Of course the store is a bit noisy itself...
Overall, I really like them for softie tanks. They aren't really set up to support SPS or similar out of the box, which is a shame, but what can you expect for the pricepoint? I'm curious if the 14 would make a good planted seahorse tank

The only real criticism of the 8g is that it won't fit the biocube skimmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have three -two in my home (glad to produce pics soon) and they work GREAT! As all here know, I'm the first to crap on a "new" product. But I sell these happily. They work.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I looked at a couple of BioCube setups recently before buying a Nano-Cube 24. The ones I saw where completely silent.

For what it's worth my 24g NanoCube is absolutely silent. I'm sitting two feet away in a quiet room and don't hear a sound.

Tanks: 29G - 24G JBJ Nano Cube - 10g

"There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference.
The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative." W. Clement Stone

Last edited by Sk8u; 06-10-2008 at 03:38 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Maybe rampagerunner selected his username for a reason... :P
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageRunner View Post
I bought an 8 gallon Biocube in January because I wanted to do a marine nano tank...it was the worst waste of money I believe

The ballast fans make a ton of noise, and the pump is also noisy. It's supposed to be very quiet, not the case here. Save your money people and don't get a biocube!!
RR

So modify it! Those things are too cool to throw in the trash or complain about one aspect.

Change the fans out for something that is quieter and replace the pump. Create a thread for how you would do it and share it with the rest of us.

Or... send it to me and I'll do it. I can't guarentee I'll send it back though.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well it appears that my unit could use some work then. Don't get my wrong, I don't like crapping on anything, it's just given me much frustrations and I merely wanted to vent. I'll see what can I can do...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
That's cool. Hope you get it running the way it should, please let us know how it turns out.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I have three -two in my home (glad to produce pics soon)
Holding out on us, eh? Get a move on, buddy!

What are you wanting to do with yours, Rampage?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well Lauraleel, I know the noise with ballast fans can be fixed. I've pulled them off the housing and then they're silent, they only make noise when I screw them back into the housing.
And I'll take the pump apart again and see what happens, I really love the thing. They're so unique and it could add so much to my room.

I'll keep tinkering
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM

I cannot disagree with Rampagerunner. I have had a Bio Cube 8 gal for about 6 months and it is a serious algae farm. I have changed the H2O regularly because it turns green. Even with algae killers. It is quiet and has been but I am about to give up. It is not in the sun. I have two fresh water tanks that have no algae problem.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I cannot disagree with Rampagerunner. I have had a Bio Cube 8 gal for about 6 months and it is a serious algae farm. I have changed the H2O regularly because it turns green. Even with algae killers. It is quiet and has been but I am about to give up. It is not in the sun. I have two fresh water tanks that have no algae problem.
That's not an issue on the tank itself.
It's the lights you're pumping in , and you're probably not doing something right in terms of keeping tank balance which is the cuase of green water.

||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode