10 gallon planted tank log - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon planted tank log

3/6/08

Got it setup and filled yesterday... here are some pics with 2 black mollies...

I got the water from my established 72 bow and left the media in the 72 for about a week before starting this tank...

Equipment: CORALIFE 28 Watt 6700k CF lighting, external filter, 50 watt heater, glass diffuser, DIY 1 liter CO2 bottle.

Plants;
Glossostigma, Dwarf Hairgrass, "Coffee Leaf" Anubias, and some Sagittaria

the glosso is annoying how it floats... i really need some twissors because it's hard to plant with your fingers... hopefully it will spread though and the roots will sort of pull it and keep it lower...

i'll be adding my main fish in 2 weeks if the mollies do okay and I believe their a peacock or sunset or something by that name... i forgot the name of the main fish i'm putting in here...

I also have some riccia tied to the back rock but the fishing line is coming a little lose in a section and the riccia is kinda floating away on a part of the rock a little section, I didn't have that much riccia to work with but should have some more tomorrow to tie to the right rock and more to the left...

any feedback would be awesome, thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Lookin good so far. What kinda substrait are you using?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Is the log from 3/6/08 like you labeled it or did you mean 4/6/08? Has the water cleared up since you took the pictures? Your placement gives a nice sense of a pathway...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

50/50 mix ada aquasoil and sand sold by the pound at my lfs... dude my diy c02 isn't going i mixed it with sorta warm water, 1 cup sugar, and half of a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and even activated it in water and sugar in a 1 liter bottle it's been like 6 hours so far... pissin me off... i think it's kinda goin tho... it should get there... and it's still a lil dusty water kinda... it's probably the ada soil but it should settle or clear with water changes... so how do i change water in this 10 gallon just use a siphon tube without the huge gravel vac and slowly put it in ? i guess i could put the bucket on the top of my desk and siphon it in every week... kind of a hassle tho... and pouring a 5 gallon into a 10 gallon tank might disrupt the glosso...

also the glosoo is alright i guess i'm hoping it'll stay at about an inch above the gravel and move verticle to create a nice carpet and in turn a path way... the rest is gravy baby... got 2 black mollies in there and i'm not feeding them so if any algae comes about they'll eat it... they should live for a while right?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
If your DIY CO2 isnt bubbling after six hours, I bet you have a leak. Either that or your yeast is expired and dead (check the expiration). But probably a leak.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

k i glued the inside with silicone and then i'll recap it in like an hour or so and it should be fine... if it doesn't go i'll be pissed. the yeast is fine it doesn't expire for awhile.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

could it have been that i kept the yeast in the refrigerator for a day? I don't get it... i mixed it with straight tap water that water barely even that warm it was just like lukewarm you know just a little warm and then i added the sugar shook it up filled it most of the way... mixed the yeast with some water in a cup not that much water and addded a pinch of sugar and then mixed it got some oxygen in it and then poured it in and then sprinkled a few droplets of yeast on top and capped it... did I do something wrong? i also shook it up when i poured it in... wtf? hopefully the silicone fixes the problem
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Not quite sure what you're saying. For a 1 litre bottle, you'd want to use one cup of sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of yeast, and maybe a pinch of baking soda if you have soft water.

When you squeeze the bottle, do you feel pressure? If not, air is probably escaping thru your cap.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So my 1 liter is going but it's only putting out like 1 bubble a minute if that... and thats straight from the line I had to dissconnect my glass diffuser and hook it up to my pressurized to see if it even worked... as i'm typing this about 1 bubble is coming out and it took it that long I actually got on my comp logged in, started firefox, got on here, and i'm typing this... oh wait heres a 2nd one thats coming a lil faster... weird... this one took about 20 seconds.... wait wait.... theres another... so ya it's going but it's going a lil slow and i don't know if theres enough pressure for the glass diffuser... could this be possible?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
My nephew did a yeast experiment for his science project at school. He found that yeast grows the fastest at 110 degrees F. I always mix my DIY yeast with hot water. It gets going quickly, lasts just a long, builds up pressure faster and gets into the tank with less interruption. I think maybe yours is just slow because the yeast is taking it's time to grow in the tepid water. It will build up enough pressure eventually and get going. I actually have heated my swirl in the microwave (just to very warm) and it doesn't kill the yeast. Don't make it TOO HOT or it will kill it. That's my 2 cents!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so keep the spiral glass diffuser!?!?

can i have a back up second opinion. Thanks!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

come on
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
keep the diffuser in there for now.once it starts going it should be fine. i have noticed that if you don't add baking soda it won't start up very fast or at all
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I've been using that same glass diffuser and find that I've wasted $15. It's very hard to maintain it because you'll need to constantly clean the ceramic top. It's really not worth it in the long run so you're better off making some sort of diy co2 reactor. You'll also notice that diffuser is not 100% efficient as stated in the ad so pretty much any other method is as efficient if not better than the glass diffuser. Just my 2 cent

92G corner - huge colony of frontosas, 1 spotted plecos, 2 spotted raphael catfish, 2 clown loaches, anubias on rock
2.5G - Iwagumi - HC carpet/rocks
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the whole seachem line, what should i dose?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode