Fuzzy hair algae? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fuzzy hair algae?

Hi all. I have a small planted tank that's been up for almost a year, but just started having some weird hair algae issue. I have a decent bit of aquarium experience, including a FOWLR, reef, puffer, and a fresh water tank. Seen plenty of algae, but this stuff is a bit different.

My planted tank has somewhere between 1 and 1.5 gallons (I made it out of one of those rectangular Brita Water Filters). Has a small mechanical filter, heater, and nice lighting. I was adding CO2 via one of those bacteria/water mixtures, but stopped about 3 months back because it seemed unnecessary.

As for chemistry, I have no idea... no test kits for it and haven't had any issues until now. Normal maintenence includedes doing a big water change about every two weeks and cleaning the filter pads.

Occupants... everything is dwarf of course... chain swords, anubus, java fern, banana plant and maybe another grass species or two. Also have two stalks of bamboo. For fish, I keep it light... two small panda corys, maybe 3 ghost shrimp, and one of those snake type fish that I can't think of the name of. And some snails (bunch actually).

The algae is pretty much black and short. It seems to grow indescriminately on any plants, and also on the glass, heater, and other non-biological things in the tank. It makes a long thin strand of plant material (like a stem) look like a terrorantula leg.

Question is, what is this crap and what's the typical cause? I realize that without specific chemistry and other details, a diagnosis of the cause would be tough, but that's not what I'm looking for. I just want to know what this algae is and I can research the rest myself.

Thanks for any help, will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Think I found an answer here:
http://tropicalworld.proboards106.co...ead=602&page=1

I'm curious how one explicitly raises the nitrates in a tank though. Sounds like I need to do some frequent water changes for a while... raise the CO2 back up, and lower the phosphates somehow. Oh, and probably overfeeding.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)
It's easier if you squirt the nitrate directly on the algae.

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...hNitrogen.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode