Planted 6 gallon Eheim - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted 6 gallon Eheim

A snapshot of the humble betta tank at home. Rotala, moss balls, wisteria and java moss. Up and running for about two months. No CO2. 20% water change every three days. 2ml microferts weekly. 8 hrs light from Eheim 7 watt LED. Thanks for having a look!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Scape looks awesome. That's one lucky Betta.

Why the need for the constant water changes? Being that you have a single betta and it's pretty much heavily planted, once every few weeks should suffice.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful ... the tank and the betta.

Deborah

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

Very Nice!

Terra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4.5G PLANTED NANO
8G PLANTED BETTA TANK

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice. I have the 9G version. Yours looks WAY better than mine.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Scape looks awesome. That's one lucky Betta.

Why the need for the constant water changes? Being that you have a single betta and it's pretty much heavily planted, once every few weeks should suffice.
+1 you should be able to safely cut back on water changes. Something that small and with so many plants should be cycled and safe (you can always do a water test to verify).
That said I really love how you hid the filter with the scaping/plants! And its not such a humble tank when you look at the price tag (they really should throw in a free Ehiem jagar heater with the pacakge.. if they did I'd buy it).

Anyways, tell us more about your tank!
Does your betta have a name?
Was he a lfs/Walmart rescue or bought straight from a breeder?
Was he bought when the tank was originally set up are has he been moved from a previous setup?
Whats the substrate?
Can you list all your plants?
How many marimos did that tank take?
What type of wood is that?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Anyways, tell us more about your tank!
Does your betta have a name?
Was he a lfs/Walmart rescue or bought straight from a breeder?
Was he bought when the tank was originally set up are has he been moved from a previous setup?
Whats the substrate?
Can you list all your plants?
How many marimos did that tank take?
What type of wood is that?
LOL. Inquiring minds want to know.

Deborah
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Looks great! I like the river of moss balls

7g nano, a work in progress

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Algae Grower

Also have the 9 gallon, yours looks very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so very much for the kind comments everyone

In the beginning I had set it up as a shrimp tank, but only two RCS survived the cycling period. There was a diatom bloom for a month. Plus an infestation of nematodes (hitchhikers from lfs moss balls). The diatom plague finally subsided. Bobby Beretta the Betta made short work of the nematodes, and has refused to eat anything but live food since. (Spoiled lfs fish). After a week of no food, he is reluctantly eating smooshed soaked pellets.

The substrate is flourite black sand (messy stuff) topped by fluval substrate (nice, not messy). The stem plants root easily within a week. There are eight marimo balls cut in half to sort of suggest a forest mat of moss Two pieces of mopani (perhaps too large for that size of tank?)

There is a hint of green hair algae, so I have cut back on the microferts (loaded with iron), reduced the light, and continued with frequent small water changes. Hopefully when things balance out in a few weeks, I can ease off to just a weekly water change, or so, as suggested
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the feel of this one, its like the forest floor under a deep canopy in thick forest. the darker greens also seem to make your betta colour pop.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstewart View Post
There are eight marimo balls cut in half to sort of suggest a forest mat of moss
I really like the look of the moss. Did you need to weigh them down or otherwise tack them down to keep them in place?

7g nano, a work in progress

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi bluestems,

The moss balls were cut in half, and loosely arranged on the substrate. I lift them up and poke them around when it's time to do a vacuuming. I did try using toothpicks, but that didn't work out. About once a month I remove them all from the tank, to rinse them in the w/c bucket, to get rid of some detritus. They make a nice poor man's foreground.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Planted Member

Looks great. Keep up the good work.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I tried using marimo for a pico but the tank turned into a hair algae nightmare (used sunlight from window so not very controllable) and I couldn't treat the bad algae since marimo is itself an algae.. so I gave up on it after several manual removals didn't slow it down any. Gald to see you tank doesn't seem to have any algae problems

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode