Planning a 2.5g planted tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planning a 2.5g planted tank.

It has been a while since I have had a fish tank so I decided to go with a 2.5g planted tank. (Can't go back to making a tank with fake plants and ornaments.)

So far my plans are:
2.5 g Tank
Flourite Substrate
Red Sea Deco Art Filter
Coralife Freshwater 9" Mini Aqualight-2 x 9W (or a good 12" one)

The plants I like are:
moss on driftwood (not sure what type)
Brazilian Micro Sword (definately)
Hemianthus callitrichoides (maybe)

Fish selected:
1 female beta (already have her)

So far I only have the tank and the substrate. I still need to buy the filter and light. I am waiting a little on the light because I will be getting a desk (finally, after moving across country) and I need to figure out spacing. I am thinking up to a 12" light is good. I also have to figure out what bulbs are good I assume if the fixture doesn't come with it. Not looking to do a diy light kit thing this time.

I want to find a small piece of driftwood and attach some sort of moss on it. Something with a nice wispy look that makes an impression of foilage on a fallen tree. I definately want the Brazilian Micro Sword plant. Have wanted it for a long time. I was thinking it would make a nice background plant. Maybe another small low bearing one (is that possible) for the front. Of course lighting has to be taken into consideration. I am aiming for a grassland kind of look.

If anyone has suggestions that would be awesome. I have been looking around at other peoples tanks and posts to refresh my memory on setting up a tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try christmas moss.
Small plants for the front are HC, marisilea sp., etc.
You sound like you're off to a good start.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
dont you want any stems (hc doesnt count in my book)? they help with nutrient export and are great for backgrounds. what i think you should do is buy a branchy driftwood, HC, microsword, and a moss (peacock, amano, star, java, fissidens). and if you want some stems of your choice. then stems in the back, wood in front of them (moss on the tops of the branches, leave undersides bare) and microsword to the side of the wood. HC in the very front.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to innerchi89 Send a message via Yahoo to innerchi89
What is HC, sorry im new
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to innerchi89 Send a message via Yahoo to innerchi89
Oh, ok i see what it is now.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 PM

I have HC, micro sword, a crypt wendtii and some ludwigia in my 2.5 gallon.

I think it would be best for you to have some kind of fast growing stem plant in there, and maybe some duckweed to help fight the initial algae you will get. Even with duckweed and ludwigia in mine, I am just getting over the horrible thread algae problem I have been having (the tank is about 2 months old). It covered everything, and my cherry shrimp wouldn't touch it. I put an oto in there from my other tank after a month and a half of hell trying to clean it out every day, overdosing excel, and nuking with hydrogen peroxide. I would highly recommend either stem plants, cherry shrimp, or an oto or two.

That being said, the micro sword looks great but it grows in reeeeeeeeeeal slow, slow enough for me to regret not getting dwarf hairgrass instead. It accumulates lots of thread algae and oedegonium. You'll need to split it up into plantlets and plant each one individually.

The micro sword and HC are going to need CO2/Excel and ferts. My HC didn't even grow until I upgraded my lighting to about 5 wpg and started dosing trace nutrients.

Even if you really don't want to do it, DIY lighting on a nano will cost you about 10 bucks if you already have the tools on hand as opposed to 30+ dollars. It's really worth it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I should get a stem plant then. I will see what I can find. I assume something with many leaves or more leave surface area types? I know a few were suggested already.

Btw, why is there an initial algae burst in the beginning?

Lighting still has me stumped. Thinking of going with the "Current USA Satellite 12" 18 Watt Power Compact Fixture-Single Strip W/Lunar Light". The thing is it has a bulb that is "a combo bulb comprised of 10,000K and 460nm Actinic". Will this be a problem? Would this be better than 2 9 watt bulb light fixture (Coralife Freshwater 9" Mini Aqualight-2 x 9W)?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Mothi, if you go with that light, I suggest swapping the bulb out for the 6700/10000k replacement bulb that I believe they sell. The actinic light wont do much for your plants at all. If you don't swap the bulb, that's basically an expensive 9 watt fixture. The Current fixtures have very nice reflectors, tho, and from what I've read Coralife reflectors are not the best.

Everyone is recommending stem plants, but in a 2.5 gallon tank, I'd imagine that continued trimming would be a hassle, as there's little room for a plant to grow in a tank that size. Maybe consider a bushy stem plant rather than one than grows completely verticle--less trimming required. To answer your question, you would want a fast grower to absorb excess nutrients and outcompete the algae that you're bound to get. Most mosses and difficult plants (HC and microsword arent the easiest...) take some time to get adjusted to your tank conditions and may not grow quickly initially. A fast grower right off the bat will suck up nutrients that would otherwise go toward an algal bloom.

Eventually, most tanks reach a "balance" where plant growth outcompetes algae and hopefully your slow-growers will have really taken off by then.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode