2.5g's of a little something... so far... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g's of a little something... so far...

So I've had this 2.5g tank for a while and it just had some gravel, heater, filter and 3 Bettas.

This is what it looked like.

Decided to change it and make it a planted nano.

Hardscape: Regualr sand and 2 rocks, don't know what they are, just thought they looked cool

I took some Dwarf Hair Grass and some plant from my 45g (don't know what it is, just found it in the back of my tank)

Up top view after planting all that

The tank filled

A Halfmoon Betta and unknown snail

Desk shot

I'm using the bulb on the right which is a 9 watt 3500k bulb. The one on left is a 23 watt (don't know the *K) but it gave off a yellowish kinda light so I chose the 9 watt one.

I'm not going CO2 yet becuase I'm not sure on how to go about doing so. I am however using fertz

I added 2 drops of each to the water after all was said and done.

The Freshwater Plant:
0-0-3
K20 3%
Copper .00001%
Iron .24%
Manganese .01%
Molybdenum .0009%
Zinc .00014%

Pro Plant:
1-0-0
Nitrogen 1%
Boron .0002%
Magnesium .05%
Sulfur .06%

Black Water Expert just says it'll help in combo with the other 2. The 3 of them came in a starter plant fertz thing for like 6$.

Anyone ever use these before? Will these fertz work?

Thanks for looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 AM

You need more light, and I would wait for dosing.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinv View Post
You need more light, and I would wait for dosing.
I wouldnt say that. The WPG rule breaks down on smaller tanks. Beside 9 watts over the tank is almost 4wpg anyway .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well comparing the light here and the 27 watt everyone tends to use yeah, bit hardcore, but i'm using 15 watt and think it's alot too =X.
Good start, but that's a really deep substrate you got on there.
ps: nice betta.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I agree try taking some of the sand out. It would look nicer I think.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have 3 2.5 gallon tanks set up, experimenting with different plants and substrates (best excuse I could make up to have them). I have found that the cfl 13 watt is letting me grow just about anything I want. I use excel to dose for CO2.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
I seem to have good balance with an 8 watt fluorescent over mine. Dwarf sag grows great, very green and Eriocaulon type 2 grows well but slowly only showing a little brown on the oldest leaves. Little to no algae issues either.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)
I think it looks like a good start. I would have to agree with the sand being a bit deep. Even with MTS snails it might compact too much.

I have 4 2.5s and each of them have modified 12" lights you can pick up at petsmart for 10 bucks. I stripped the white plastic reflector out and airbushed the inside a semi/gloss white and added another light fixture to the other side. I run 2 Sylvania full spectrum "Craft Bulbs" 15 watts each 5500K over each of the tanks. I bought them at Lowes. They're a bit more expensive but I have seen better growth and less algae with them than the 6500K daylight bulbs. I think they're cheap for a reason.

One thing I have found helpful in the smaller tanks is adding carbon or purigen to your filter until you get your fert routine and plants established. Be cautious with adding the fast growing plants like hornwort or salvinia unless your are solid on your fert routine. I have found in the smaller tanks that they can suck up too much of the nutrients and become counter productive.

Anyway, just a few things I have learned...

Steven

Last edited by StevenLeeds; 03-25-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Missing Info
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettxboii View Post
Well comparing the light here and the 27 watt everyone tends to use yeah, bit hardcore, but i'm using 15 watt and think it's alot too =X.
Good start, but that's a really deep substrate you got on there.
ps: nice betta.
I plan to get rid of some sand, I bought like a 5 lb bag or something and washed it all and didn't have a spot to put the extra so I just tossed it in.

Thanks for the Betta comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLeeds View Post
I think it looks like a good start..
Thanks, glad I'm headed in the right direction lol

Quote:
I would have to agree with the sand being a bit deep. Even with MTS snails it might compact too much.
What's wrong with a compacted substrait?

Quote:
I have 4 2.5s and each of them have modified 12" lights you can pick up at petsmart for 10 bucks. I stripped the white plastic reflector out and airbushed the inside a semi/gloss white and added another light fixture to the other side. I run 2 Sylvania full spectrum "Craft Bulbs" 15 watts each 5500K over each of the tanks. I bought them at Lowes. They're a bit more expensive but I have seen better growth and less algae with them than the 6500K daylight bulbs. I think they're cheap for a reason.
Do you have pics of the lighting you have on them? Is the light avaiable online b/c the closest petsmart is a few towns over

Quote:
One thing I have found helpful in the smaller tanks is adding carbon or purigen to your filter until you get your fert routine and plants established. Be cautious with adding the fast growing plants like hornwort or salvinia unless your are solid on your fert routine. I have found in the smaller tanks that they can suck up too much of the nutrients and become counter productive.

Anyway, just a few things I have learned...

Steven
I'm not using a filter on this tank because the water movement is too stong for the Betta.

I also just plan to keep what I have in there now and just let it grow.

Anyone think a DIY CO2 system will benefit me?

Thanks for all of the fast replys guys. I'll post pics when I take out more sand ect
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

DIY CO2 will definitely be a help but it may run unstable or too high in a tank that high, an alternateive is Seachem Excel, however some plants don't respond too well to it.
And compacted substrates will be anaerobic and gas pockets will form, which are pretty toxic if released.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good. Thanks for the info

I just went and bought a 5.5g and I'm going to switch everything over once I make the new tank rimless.

Anyone know how to get the plastic rim off of a AGA tank?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Go see phishy's thread on his 5.5 there's some info on removing he rim on that thread.
What's the 2.5 gonna be used for then?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

not sure but it's deffentally going to be empty. If I set up another tank my dad said he'll kill me haha
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ahh.
So did my dad, but he said i can't even set up a larger tank, but i'd rather save up and set up the 33 properly =]
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
the bulb is weak and wrong spectrum. try ordering this one if you cant get it locally: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9870
(the second bulb)

dwarf hairgrass is kind of high for a nano foreground. it would be better for the midground, maybe some HC; or glosso (if you keep up with trimming).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode