The Planted Tank Forum banner

new to planted tanks

820 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Kayen 
#1 ·
i have recently bought an aquacube 40 litre open topped tank and would like to turn it into a planted nano tank.

the tank has a 13 inch square foot print and is 16 inches tall. it came with a 7 inch compact light which is 18 watt. below is a picture of the tank and light so you get an idea of what im talking about

Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 800 ] - Click to view full image

the tank

[URL]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/littl...le/DSC00223.jpg[/URL]

the light?

i would like to turn this into a planted nano tank like the one which they did with the free tank from pfk.

i dont have a clue where to begin as ive only ever had low light plants such as valis and java moss/fern.

so what do i need?

lighting?
i know im gonna have to upgrade the lighting but im not sure to what. i was thinking an 18watt t5 power compact?

substrate?
at the moment i have black sand. i would like to keep this but with a plant substrate underneith to help the plants grow.
any reccomendations?

plants?
i would rather have a jungle type effect than having a carpet of plants. i am going to keep the large piece of bogwood that is in there and keep the moss and java fern covering it but apart from that i am open to suggestions as i have very little knowledge of plant species and what is suitable for a small tank

co2

in the pfk nano tank they used a sera mini co2 set which uses tablets. are these anygood and are they suitable for this size tank? if not does any one have any suggestions and at what rate should co2 be produced in this tank?

the fish in the tank are currently 3 ottos 3 cory pygmeas and and some guppy/ platty fry. the ottos and corys are staying in the tank and will be joined by a betta or some micro rasboras

is there anything i have forgotton.

sorry for the rant but i really want to get this right.

thanks in advance

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.