Desk lamp bulb for 2g planted betta tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Desk lamp bulb for 2g planted betta tank?

If this has already been asked, please point me in the right direction!

I am helping a friend set up a planted betta tank. She will be putting a desk lamp next to it. It's the kind with a bendy metal neck... I am planning on setting her up with java moss and java fern. The question is, can we find a suitable light bulb for her lamp and will it be enough for the plants to live? I know we are not going to get much growth, but not dying is good. This is very, very low tech, and due to the type of container we are using, a regular light strip is out of the question. Does GE, Sylvania, or Phillips make a suitable light bulb? I heard they have bulbs for house plants. Is that what we are looking for?

Thank guys! I will try and get pictures when it's together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
the "daylight spectrum (6500K) spiral compact flourescents will work well for your setup. They can be used in a desklamp that can accept regualr bulbs.
I would keep the photoperiod (the period the light is on) to 10 hours or less, that will help prevent algae buildup.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks hooha! I am assuming I can find these bulbs pretty much anywhere? Walmart, the hardware store etc....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
yes, walmart, lowes, etc have them....look for the 'daylight' or 6500k type....

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Excellent! Thanks alot - I appreciate it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode