Eclipse System 3 Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eclipse System 3 Journal

Here is my 3g Eclipse that I set up just under a week ago. I'm using the stock 6watt 6500k light for now. If I can get a decent variety of plants to grow with this light, then I won't bother upgrading. I have Excel, but I'm looking for a good fert. The plants currently in this tank are Java Moss, Java Fern, and Micro Sword. I'm keeping the Micro Swords at the front of the tank where the light is the strongest. I've heard of people having success with these in low light set ups like this, so we'll see. The substrate is Flourite which I washed like mad before putting in this tank. I've got a good ammount of Nitrites and Nitrates showing up, and I'm keeping the ammonia level up until the cycle is complete (hence the floating specks of food scattered throughout the tank). This will be the home of a Dwarf Puffer once it is ready, If anyone has any fert, plant, or fauna recommendations, I'm all ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I wouuld imagine that your micro sword will perish in short time because of the lighting situation. Your best bet will be anubis, mosses, and and java ferns.

Your on the right track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I doubt microsword could make a tank like that.
From what i've read, they need medium-high light.
Your other plants should be fine, try adding some anubias.
And what's the plant floating in the top left corner of the picture?

Also there's many pc 13w retrofit kits out there, and not that expensive, maybe try one of those to up your lighting a bit...?
Which will open the door to alot more plants.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
Even though this Micro Sword is an experiment or sorts, I still would prefer that it not die.
I've been considering a retrofit kit. If someone could direct me to a 13watt kit that will fit a 3g Eclipse and is affordable, I would be grateful. I remember that AH Supply used to have one, but from what I see on their site they no longer carry it (a real shame). I wish I had known I was going to get an Eclipse back then! If I can't find a kit, then I could always stick a standard incandescent fixture in there and put one or two screw-in GE Daylight Bulbs I've got laying around in it. My only concern then would be heat and moisture. I love this closed system with hood and filter too much to do without it (not to mention that's the only reason my fiance would let me keep it), so removing it for a different light and HOB filter is pretty much out of the question. Any suggestions as to what I should do are appreciated.

Also, that plant floating at the top of the picture is actually some Red Ludwigia clippings from another tank that I was going to throw away, but on a whim, decided to place in this tank. I guess I have a soft spot for plants. I figured it might survive in this tank better than it would in the trashcan... maybe.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
If you need some free anubias nana or java just come by and I will hook you up. The G-Vegas hook.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know JL aquatics has them, not sure if they ship to the U.S as they are Canada based.

Edit: NOT jl, they cater to larger tanks.
Try www.nanotuners.com

Last edited by Kayen; 03-04-2008 at 04:46 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
cool tank!

I have the same tank. I retrofitted a socket from a 10 gal hood onto the back. Added 2x15w spiral PCs to it. Worked great. It gets hot and adds prob 2deg F to the tank, but won't melt the plastic.

- Join today!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Chadly, I love your 3 gallon eclipse tank.So, you removed the filter/biowheel unit in order to mount those bulbs, right? I was considering doing something exactly like that, except on the front of the system, in place of the stock light. Do you think the bulbs and all would fit in that part of the hood or would they be too close to the water? I've seen people do this with CFLs that arn't the spiral bulbs, but the spiral bulbs are what I have. Besides, they are cheaper. A pack of 2 10w-23w GE 6500k Daylight bulbs at walmart for 6 dollars versus 5 dollars for a single non spiral CFL from the fish section...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
well, to be honest, my filter broke so I didn't have any hangups about drilling a hole in the back of the hood and putting this socket in there. I dont' think anything like this will really fit in the front because the front of the hood is lower and closer to the water. This setup I came up with barely fits. I wanted to get more light to the back of the tank and the stock light just isnt' cutting it.

- Join today!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

An update. I was given a bunch of plants/clippings by a fellow member and planted them all. I removed the microsword and planted it in a glass candy jar and sat it in a window (at least one snail has shown up in that jar) where the microsword seems to be thriving on sunlight alone. I had to leave my tank for a week as I got married on the 8th and went to Tennessee for my honeymoon. I left my mother in law instructions to keep the tank "fed" and the light on an eight hour timer. When I returned home I was pleased to see the tank had finished cycling. To be sure I added some more decaying plant matter and ammonia water, bringing the ammonia up to a measurable level. The ammonia was at 0ppm when I checked again later. Many snails have appeared and seem to be doing a great job of cleaning the tank walls and such. I wanted to get my Dwarf Puffer, but my local exotic fish store seems to have trouble keeping their hands on them for long, so I picked up a couple of Bumblebee Gobys that I have been admiring in their tanks for some time. They don't seem to be purchased as quickly because they are so tiny. I've added them to this tank to see how they do in my freshwater setup which has been prepared up to this point to house a DP. A friend of mine who has kept lots of these little Bumblebees over the years has assured me that the one I got will be fine. We shall see. They appear happy so far and eat live bloodworms twice their length like mad. I'm happy with the set up.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Update!

This tank has changed a bit over the past year and a half. I removed several of the plants that I was given as they weren't fairing so well. The Ferns and the petite have been doing great. Except for a short while where the java moss simply took over and was stealing most of the light in the tank! The java moss also grew close to the light and promoted the growth of some hair algae that I was battling for a while. I removed the moss recently, cleaned off most of the algae, and tied it to some rocks in my new 55g tank that is cycling. I also removed the large java fern. It has been making lots of little baby java ferns since I put it in here, but at one point it was getting too big for the tank and then was getting covered in java moss. This tank receives little in the way of maintenance. No ferts, no excel, no co2, rare water changes. It now has an adult female platty in it, a tiny young platty, and three recently added cherry shrimp in it. Both of my bumblebee gobies did eventually die. One after a about 8 months and the other just over a year. I don't think I fed them quite enough and I didn't keep a heater in the tank either then. The current fish have been enjoying this tank for a while now.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sweet. Love those Eclipse tanks. I have two of the 6-gallon ones. I've been planning a lighting mod like the one chadly did, but I'm going to remove the stock bulb, ballast and holder to do it so that I don't have to remove the filter.

Eventually I'll get around to it, and post some pics and instructions if anyone else is interested...

Click here to see my dragons ->

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode