New 20 gal High Newbie...now what - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 20 gal High Newbie...now what

Ok...I have read so much...I have a headache...do i need a filter, do i not, the lighting really really confuses me....1-3 per gallon right...., I did get the bio wheel power filter, is this ok? got the reg. ol' gravel then read more and took that back and then got flourite instead....does anyone have a magic list? Do I need CO2 ,bubble wands, Oh my goodness the newbie list goes on.....HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The biggest choice you need to make in keeping a planted tank is if you want a high light tank or a low light tank. A low light tank is generally 2wpg of lighting or less. A high light tank is 3wpg+

A low light tank will somewhat limit the species of plants you are able to keep in your tank and will make it take a very long time to establish any plant as a carpet. However, this is the least expensive, least maintenance, does not need anywhere near the same level of fertilization, or require CO2. I personally recommend low-light tanks to beginners, as it's fairly easy to convert a tank to high light later, once the basics have been mastered.

High light tanks require CO2 dosing, weekly plant trimming, daily fertilizer dosing, and usually at least weekly water changes. Much more time, more $$, but you can grow just about any plant you wish to try, and will get fantastic lush growth, including from carpeting plants.

If you go with high light tank, then you do not want to use HOB filters or bubble wands- those things will outgas the CO2 that you are dosing into the water. They are fine with low-light tanks, however.

Keep the questions coming- we're here to help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
you can try using my post for some suggestions https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...l-planted.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode