algae bloom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
algae bloom

Hello,

About a year ago I set up a Fluval spec tank. I mixed gravel with laterite substrate and planted it. There is a piece of driftwood in it. Plants were very happy and multiplying. The anubia I set up on the wood was popping a leaf once in a while.

I would change the water once in a while but mainly refill whatever would evaporate.

Now suddenly algae are taking over everything! The green fluffy kind.what is happening? I have tried reducing the "daytime" period but that did not help.

I have strips of test paper (5 tests in one). The nitrates are not 0 but still very low and no noticeable nitrite. Both levels are lower than from the tap. PH is quite acidic (tap water seems acidic too)

Total Population: 1 betta.( did one attempt with cherry shrimp but they only lasted a few months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Take a look here, and try and identify which algae you're getting. Probably would be a good idea to do a large water change and manually remove as much as you can. I'm sure some experts will chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]

Last edited by nomad1721; 04-15-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: update
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
First issue is you should just top off, you should be doing water changes. At least a gallon a week.

What is the temp of the tank too?

Evolve-lution Member:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

About 23C. From the link (thank you Nomad) it looks like I have blue green algae
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

Algae and nano tanks

All algae, and especially blue green algae is fond of too many nutrients in the water. I have a 2.5g nano with 5 ghost shrimp and many snails. If I feed the shrimp 1 flake each, per week, the water is crystal clear. One flake twice per week, still clear. One flake three times per week, algae bloom. Water changes are a good solution to my problem. I try to keep all my nanos with as little nutrients in the water as possible. I put 1 inch of Miracle Grow organic soil on the bottom, and cap with 1 inch of gravel or sand. As long as the nutrients are mainly in the substrate, no algae problem. Fiddling with the photoperiod also helps. I have one nano with only 1 small plant in it. The nutrients leach from the soil faster than this small plant can use it, so I get algae, and bacteria. I am going to put more plants in it on the weekend. Any tank with lots and lots of plants to use up the nutrients; crystal clear.

Why is the "next" tank, always the most interesting?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode