OMG Frustrating!!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
OMG Frustrating!!!!!

So, here I spent a good chunk of yesterday and then all of this morning and a bit of this afternoon carefully planning out and setting up a nice little 2.5g planted nano.

It looked GREAT. I was doing a little photo journal and everything.

So, I get to the final step and fill the thing up, after painstakingly planting everything.

It leaks.

I DID test it for leaks, both before and after removing the black trim from the top. I left the bottom trim in place, to give it plenty of support. I haven't dropped anything, there's no visible crack or anything. But the bottom right corner leaks.

So, I've had to pull everything out, including the layered substrate (peat, mulm, flourite, sand). The substrate can't just get tossed back in, as I wanted white sand, and the only fluorite sand I have at the moment is black.

I know I can reseal the tank, but I'll have to pick up some aquarium silicone.

I'm just sooooo frustrated. Especially since I paid way too much for the tank - it was $20!!! I paid less than that for my 10g, but I coughed up the bucks, because it was the only place in my city to get a small glass tank, and I didn't want to drive half an hour to the next town over.

Anyway, there's no purpose to this post, I'm just ranting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are you going to do from here on then..?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Go return it to get another one. I know petsmart carry those 2.5g tanks for about $13 each. I hope everything works out for you

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htn86 View Post
Go return it to get another one. I know petsmart carry those 2.5g tanks for about $13 each. I hope everything works out for you
I doubt it can be returned with the top rim removed.

Good luck on the resealing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry to hear about your tank leaking. Pretty frustrating I know!

What I do is always do a water only fill-up test first before doing anything. Especially important if you buy a tank that is used--ask the seller to fill up the tank 100% w/ water for 24 hours before considering.

If it's a small leak on a spot that you can get to then you can repair it with aquarium silicon. But if you can return it it's easier to just do that.

Edit: Also if you have a Big Al's nearby, they sell the 2.5g for $8.99 + tax. Pretty much the cheapest anywhere for a new tank.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

well, I emptied it, rinsed it, and dried it. As soon as I did that, I could clearly see where the leak was coming from. Nothing I'd done, a manufacturing error - they'd missed a spot caulking the corner. However, with the trim off, I couldn't return it. So, I picked up some aquarium silicone, sealed it, let it dry, and just filled it with water. Everything looks okay so far.

I think I just missed the leak because I was kind of hurrying when I test-filled it and didn't dry the outside off. It was a little bubbly, drippy leak in the bottom corner, so I didn't notice it.

Oh well, fixed now. And since I've already done all the hard stuff (planning the hardscape, attaching moss and anubias), it should be pretty quick and easy to set up tomorrow.

Lesson learned - I'll definitely inspect new tanks when before buying from now on.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
So you set up the tank and then it leaked, if so, did you save the flora and fauna?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 AM

damn that must be dreadfull
i hope everything turns out well!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

no fauna, and yeah, the plants are fine. They're hanging out in a bucket until I can set it all up again this afternoon.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via MSN to crisrisl
The same thing happened to me with my 2.5. It didn't leak right away, but after a few weeks, there would just be a slowly forming puddle.

Seems like they just slap some silicone on and slap the tanks together on those small ones...

72g bowfront: 7 x angelfish, 3 x albino bushynose plecos, 2 x otos, 2 x botia striata, 1 x school rummynose, 1 x school cardinals, 1 x male betta named Patata
92g corner: 4 x peppered cories, 2 x lonely discus, 1 x school rummynoses, 1 x school cardinals.
Also..shrimp, discus, angelfish, and now a Tanganyikan cichlid tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sometimes I take out some plants from trimming and I leave them in a water bucket for days. If left floating too long, some of the plants get bent out of shape as they adjust to floating form. Then it takes a while to get them to acclimate and start growing and growing straight again.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
That is why I never mess around with the design of a tank like removing the rim. I guess it's just a lucky pick because I bought 2 of those 2.5g from petsmart and they seems perfect to me. Since it's a nano tank, you should just get some GE silicone I and seal up the leak. Save the rest for other inspired projects. Good luck
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Sorry to hear that.. Be happy that it was a much larger tank and good luck with the new tank.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 01:56 AM

Atleast yours didnt turn in to a mud bowl!!!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...27-2008009.jpg
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/67%)
tank

i did the same to a 5.5 AGA aquarium, removed both rims.

in these nano's (2.5 & 5.5) they use the same thickness of glass as the 10 gallon versions, so its not a matter of the glass handling the water load, and really in these small tanks the silicone is more than enough to hold the tank together without a rim.

when removing tank rims, be very very very careful, you can wiggle loose the silicone bond when prying the rim off.

ive noticed the crappy silicone job they do.. in my 5.5 there was silicone all over the glass stringed out over the bottom.. a really wide and sloppy bead.. just a complete mess. so i took a razor blade and cleaned it up a little, then re-coated all of the seams with a freash bead of silicone(use a guitar pick to get that smooth low profile silicone bead)

it will be my first planted tank.(wich is why i had to have the ADA look)
but i have over 2 years experience with Saltwater reef keeping.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode