New nano setup discussion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
New nano setup discussion

So I'm starting a new job next week, haven't even laid eyes on my desk yet, but already hope to "reward" myself for the new job with a new nano desk tank! Gotta love the priorites, right?

In keeping with all my tank setups, the plan is a low tech setup with rich substrate, no CO2 dosing, needing little to no water column dosing. Haven't decided for sure on stocking yet, but dwarf shrimp and dwarf rasporas are likely.

I'll be buying all new equipment for this setup, as I haven't set up a nano tank in eons. So that's where this thread comes in.

Most likely will go with the GLA 30cm (12x12x12") cube.

I'm on the fence about HOB or canister filter. I normally prefer canisters since I like hiding equipment as much as possible, but I am not a huge fan of most of the nano canisters I've seen since most of them have to sit right next to the tank (which to me defeats the whole point LOL). Since I don't want particularly strong flow in the this tank, I keep tilting back towards HOBs. Chances are good I'll end up with an AC 20 since I'm such an AC fan and my filter *must* have room for a bag of Purigen!

What I REALLY need input on is the light fixture, since I'm looking at LEDs, and as I've been out of the hobby for a bit I haven't kept up with them at all!

Not only does my fixture need to allow me to avoid CO2, but visual color rendition in the tank is extremely importantant to me. I don't want to wash out reds.

Some of the fixtures I've been looking at are the Finnex FugeRay, BeamWorks fixtures (I have no idea which one I'd need?), or possibly a CFL option if they'd give me better color than the LEDs??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:47 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
SWEET!

First things first: consider getting a high-clarity cube like the ones from AquaTop. Just because the tank will be close to you, it's worth it for the clarity. Unless GLA has a high-clarity tank.

If you go with a 12" cube, you could also get an AquaTop Nano-P LED fixture. It will definitely handle low-medium plants. Finnex also has a decent 12" fixture but I feel it takes away from tank aesthetics when it comes to rimless cubes because it covers the top of the tank and you have to slide it outta the way to stick tweezers or a net in the water.

If you go HOB, opt for AC30. I have *always* been an AC20 guy. Always. But have recently come to realize the extra room in the 30 is beyond worth it. Especially when it comes to having room for things like Purigen. The extra $5 or so makes it a no-brainer. And when it comes to eventually fishing out stowaway sneaky shrimp or fish? The extra room inside the filter is a relief for sticking a net inside.

If you go canister, Eheim 2211 is a dream for 12" cubes. Adjustable flow, silence, can hide it beside or under a desk. Costs twice what an AC costs but the resale value holds and all that.

Have you considered a 10" cube? May be more manageable for a desk. I have a few examples in my Triple Cubes thread. Along with light fixtures and such.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
SWEET!
I love my enabling friends.

Quote:
First things first: consider getting a high-clarity cube like the ones from AquaTop. Just because the tank will be close to you, it's worth it for the clarity. Unless GLA has a high-clarity tank.
Yep, the GLA I'm looking at is low iron. Since I'm also in FL, shipping is only $11, too. http://greenleafaquariums.com/produc...e-7-13gal.html

Where'd you get your AquaTops?

Quote:
If you go with a 12" cube, you could also get an AquaTop Nano-P LED fixture. It will definitely handle low-medium plants.
Link? I can't seem to find one for sale...?

Quote:
If you go HOB, opt for AC30. I have *always* been an AC20 guy. Always. But have recently come to realize the extra room in the 30 is beyond worth it. Especially when it comes to having room for things like Purigen. The extra $5 or so makes it a no-brainer. And when it comes to eventually fishing out stowaway sneaky shrimp or fish? The extra room inside the filter is a relief for sticking a net inside.
Are you running the AC30 on any of your nanos? I was thinking of the 20 just because I worried about size and weight of a larger HOB hanging on a rimless tank?

Quote:
If you go canister, Eheim 2211 is a dream for 12" cubes. Adjustable flow, silence, can hide it beside or under a desk.
REALLY! I *might* even have one packed up still somewhere... hm. I was thinking any of the Eheims would be way too big... guess I'll have to spend some time in the garage this weeking pawing through more boxes!

Quote:
Have you considered a 10" cube? May be more manageable for a desk. I have a few examples in my Triple Cubes thread. Along with light fixtures and such.
Yeah I started off looking at the 10" cubes. But if I go with fish rather than shrimp I think I'd rather have that extra few inches/gallons to work with. Might still end up going that route if my yet-to-be-seen desk can't fit the 12" though.

Never fear, I've already been stalking your nano cube journal.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

AquaTop LED here: http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-led-light-nano-tp.html Can also find tanks there. I paid $100 for the LED, I think, several months ago and really love it. There are also tons upon tons of options on eBay for cheap. Low power LED + timer = office magic.

Deep Blue Professional also has a couple fixtures that could work extremely well. Ken's Fish and most regular/hobbyist retailers have them if you wanna check them out. The kind with 3-5 LEDs in them.

Am running AC30 on both 10" cubes and 12" cubes. I do place things beneath them, though, to alleviate concerns about weight. Probably unnecessary but easy enough. I don't like them on rimless tanks as much as I like canisters. I find when tanks are constantly within my line of sight, equipment aesthetics become more important than they probably should be. So then I start focusing on keeping as much stuff out of the tank or hidden as possible.

I'd say even Eheim 2213 would be okay for a 12" cube but 2211 is probably ideal. Picking between Eheim an AC means you can't go wrong.

This has me itching to set up the spare 12" cube for a Dwarf Puffer. Temptation. Must resist.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Thanks Jake, you rock!

Are LED kelvin ratings comparable to flourescent in terms of color rendition?

I'm hoping to keep my light fixture under $50.

Another HM... I know I have a 2213.

Anyone on the forum selling acrylic lily pipes? I'd break glass within 24 hours, and I hate Eheim green.

Take your wife out to a really nice dinner this month. Then get another cube NEXT month.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Sooo many things to ponder...

If I can use a filter I already have, that frees up some $$ for that Nano-P fixture you linked. I'm liking the looks of it! Plus they've got free shipping on their tanks.

$50 shipped for the tank http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high...be-hcc-12.html

$70 for that fixture http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-led-light-nano-tp.html

I like the $30 price tag on this Deep Blue fixture better, but not the actinic bulbs http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...led-light.html

... after looking at these clip-on options, I think if I end up with an HOB rather than a canister, I wont have much real estate on the back of the tank for moving the filter around to make flow adjustments? I think I'm still leaning towards the FugeRay. I don't mind moving fixtures out of the way for tank maintenance. Don't have to DO tank maintenance all that often on my setups.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have an Eheim 2211 on a 6gal and it works fantastic. The flow is a little strong for dwarf shrimp but if you were to reduce flow with the ball valves I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. If you were planning on getting glass pipes for the filter you could also purchase the spiral outflow which (from what I've read) will greatly reduce current as well.

On the Deep Blue fixture... Don't get it. I purchased one about a year ago for a nano tank and it wasn't bad lighting so I purchased another for an identical tank. What i had failed to notice is that they had changed the lighting for the fixture from 11 or 12 leds to 3 leds that beam into the tank.. It looked like a poor lighting job at a high school play.

Maybe this for cheap lighting seen it for around $30 http://www.finnex.net/index.php/prod...-on-light.html
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Definitely like the $30 price, but the actual bulb on the Epoch is a CFL. Just has moonlights (meh) http://www.amazon.com/CL26BK-Aquarium-Cliplight-including-Moonlight/dp/B003GVOF8I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1397186820&sr=1-1&keywords=finnex+epoch

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Just dug up my initial review of the AquaTop LED here. Really need to update it with new photos and such but that will give you a good idea of what it looks like.

LEDs these days definitely produce great color and great-looking lighting. I think a strong majority of people with smaller tanks are moving toward them. And those with large budgets and big tanks definitely are.

Another option… depending upon how crafty you want to get… you could always buy a screw-in LED and put it in a nice desk lamp. Maybe one that has perforation built in to allow for airflow. May look really nice in an office environment. But that's only if you don't find a tank-specific fixture to buy. I'm not sure how many different 'bulbs' are on the market now but there are plenty that would be able to support plants.

Thoughts about the 2213 if you go with a 12" cube… you'll probably feel like you have too much flow in the beginning. But if you're going with shrimp and such, you'll be loading the filter down with tons of media, Purigen, foam, floss, yadda yadda. So that'll help. You'll also likely have a sponge pre-filter to slow things down kinda and you can always doctor up the spray bar with a Dremel (or a hot nail and a hacksaw). Add a few more holes, make the existing ones a bit larger, etc. All kinds of ways to rig things up for nearly no cost.

There are occasionally people who make acrylic pipes here on the forum but you're looking at probably $50-$100. Another option would be to use black spray paint to paint the pipes on the Eheim. Combined with a black background, they'll almost disappear. If you're looking for something a bit more transparent, could always order some cheap acrylic tubing from Pet Mountain or another retailer (since it's ALWAYS like $8 a tube in local shops and $1 online) and rig up your own.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Another lighting option: Ecoxotic EcoPico LED Arm + LED strips. You can pick your own color temperature, dim, add strips (some people have as many as five on the same arm), turn different strips on and off as needed. If you do some deep searching on all the hobby forums and online, you may even be able to find one that's used and in good shape.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:18 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Just to make your life a bit more difficult: why not a really low tech setup? Might be an easier in an office set up.

About 5g:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397222212884.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	303970

~3g Champaign Cooler:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397222296934.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	303978

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have an Aqueon Evolve at my desk...about 6 months or so now. Super easy to care for so far. I setup overflow area with sponges and bio media and haven't needed to clean it yet. I only kept RCS in it until a couple weeks ago when I added 5 emerald rasboras, a week or so later 2 Ottos. Planted decently with room to grow and my plants are showing growth.

With a really light stocking you can use a pretty basic filter. I like the evolve because you can't even tell there is a filter, it takes away some tank area but I have room for my heater and whatever else all out of sight.

I picked up a used Finnex Fugeray -R here on TPT and it works perfect...if not a little to much light so I keep frogbit and salvinia to diffuse the light. I dose CSM +B maybe once a week, macros once or twice since setting up the tank but nothing regular. Just also started dosing metricide lightly a few times a week and the plants really responded.

I thought about grabbing a zoomed canister a few times...but for me the built in overflow just works. It keeps things more minimized, people can get "weird" when you start running a bunch of equipment not related to your work...in my case they don't have a clue what's even there and they just enjoy stopping by to take a look at it. -I actually wish I had a better place to "display" my little tank so people didn't have to come into my cube, around my desk and feel like they are invading my space...they are not, I invite them in.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Check out the tank in my sig its got some of the stuff you're considering. I've got co2 but with one ray you wouldn't need it.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have Fugeray-R on my 10 inch cube (no Co2) and its perfect . Plants are crypts /anubias and s.repens.The filter is a zoomed 501.Also ,you can get the Aquatop Nano Type-P Led Light for $50 (incl shipping) on fleabay from one of the bigger dealers .
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post

~3g Champaign Cooler:

Attachment 303978

v3
That's GORGEOUS! Not what I'm shooting for at work, but man if I didn't have a cat who I wouldn't be able to keep out of it, I'd set something like that up on my kitchen counter!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode