Shrimp bowl for work:) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp bowl for work:)

I was given this bowl, I think it's some sort of a vase, it's 5in in front and 7-7.5in in back. I don't want to spend any extra money on making it so I'll have to make do with stuff/plants that I already have. I have close to 20 types of plants so that should not be a problem

Once it's close to being ready I'm going to take it to work and keep it there, or maybe it's better to take it there and plant it there...well anyway I'll get everything ready and then decide.

The substrate is plant substrate, light will probably just be daylight (we'll see if I will add a lamp), no filter.

Ok, plants, the contenders are: Crypts (one small and brownish and one bigger and greenish), sunset hygro, dwarf hygro, Alternanthera redeckii, pearl weed, micro sword, riccia, Pogostemon helferi, dwarf Sagitaria, ludwigia and anubias nana and petite.

Anyone have any experience with these plants in a bowl?

I'm planing on soaking the driftwood for awhile and then tying Anubias too it, but I think some of it will stick up out of the water, will that be fine?

I also have some small lava rocks that I plan on tying the riccia to, I'm not good with mosses so riccia it is

Any advice and help is welcomed!

Terra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4.5G PLANTED NANO
8G PLANTED BETTA TANK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Algae Grower

All shrimp bowls needs noodles . no MSG added too....hehheheh couldn't resist
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Looking forward to see how it turns out.

~Toni

|
|
|

|

Member in good standing

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I had riccia, ludwigia and anubias in my shrimp bowl and they did fine, but the riccia was floating (closer to the light) so your experience may differ. I like what you've done so far! Good luck with it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
The anubias will grow just fine since it's a low-light and low-maintenance plant. I think ludwigia would do well too but it might not color like it would in a tank with light and co2. Still, it can be nice and green! I'm looking forward to see how this will look down the line !
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Shrimp bowl for work:)

The plan is to plant after Easter, I'm going away for a few days over Easter, and I don't feel comfortable planting and leaving The wood is soaking, I'm hoping to get rid of at least some of the tannins before it goes into the bowl.
Does anyone know how riccia does with Excel? The plan is to dose with flourish and excel.

Sketch I made of the scape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terra

4.5G PLANTED NANO
8G PLANTED BETTA TANK

Last edited by terrapedes; 04-13-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM

This looks interesting, would love to see the progress.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I think that Excel will kill riccia when dosed at recommended levels or higher. That's not to say you can't be successful using it, but it may be difficult to get the dosage right in a small bowl.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajeev View Post
All shrimp bowls needs noodles . no MSG added too....hehheheh couldn't resist
Haha, I almost spit my Coke all over the monitor. Well played sir, well played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
I think that Excel will kill riccia when dosed at recommended levels or higher. That's not to say you can't be successful using it, but it may be difficult to get the dosage right in a small bowl.
I use Excel in my 2.5g and the riccia has been doing well and growing like mad for the last few months, and I quite often overdose by 2x. With that said, I wouldn't squirt the Excel directly on it, nor would I do a 5x overdose or something, but I think you will be fine using it in moderation. Just my 2.

|
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Excel almost wiped out my Crypts with 1/2 the recommended dose and I've read other horror stories about using excel in a crypt tanks.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Soooo... I planted the bowl. The water is greenish because of the tetra initial sticks.
There are about 3 liters of water in it so it's small

Plants used,
Anubias nana
Anubias nana petite
Hygrophila polysperma sunset
Crypt unknown
Riccia
A few leaves of duckweed (it's everywhere!)
I'm feeling ambivalent about this, I'm not sure I like it yet :/
Best wishes from the land of ice and fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by terrapedes; 05-03-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: reasons
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Cute!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

Lovely setup. The driftwood fits that bowl very nicely.

It should be very low maintenance too, perfect for work.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
I'm feeling ambivalent about this, I'm not sure I like it yet :/
A quick water change and the addition of a light will quickly change your mind. My 1.75g vase looks like crap before the lights go on. Love it when it's are on.

I small desk lamp with a single 10w cfl maybe 6-8" above the bowl should do.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
A quick water change and the addition of a light will quickly change your mind. My 1.75g vase looks like crap before the lights go on. Love it when it's are on.

I small desk lamp with a single 10w cfl maybe 6-8" above the bowl should do.
I'm waiting for lights I ordered for my 30l tetra tank (the light in the hood is broken and it's cheaper to go rimless than renewing it) and for another small tank I have, when they come I will have a lamp over it with a proper lightbulb, now I have a lamp with a regular bulb over it and I just did a 75% waterchange. I'm thinking that I want another normal bowl to keep at home O.o

Terra

4.5G PLANTED NANO
8G PLANTED BETTA TANK

Last edited by terrapedes; 05-03-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: because I can

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode