post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
Question Nano stocking?

I was wondering if this would be good (5 or 7 gallons):

4 or 5 pygmy cories (not sure yet)
7 or 9 Boraras Merah (Phoenix Rasbora)
3 snails (please recommend a type for a nano that eats algae)

I still haven't decided on a lot of things, but what do you thin so far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
if you choose to do 10 gallons you can keep both the cories and rasboras (4 and 7)

no animal will really help with algae too much, especially not any that can be put in a tank that size (sae help but they grow to be over 4")

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
no animal will really help with algae too much, especially not any that can be put in a tank that size (sae help but they grow to be over 4")
why wouldn't shrimp be an option?

90G - CA community tank (Jack Dempsey, Fire Mouth, Blood Parrot). 8 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches, 3 bristlenose Pleco's.
20G (tall) - Planted. 4 neons, 8 rummy nose tetras, 3 ottos.
5.5G - Dwarf Hairgrass playland for Beta and 2 ottos.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

anything in the genus boraras actively hunts for the shrimp (just what ive read), once they see shrimp in the tank they will look for more and eat them (adults and young).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

But these rasboras are microrasboras...........
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMO You'll probably be OK with adult shrimp but don't expect many babies to survive- if you're OK with that then go for it!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Actually, over at shrimpnow, they say that many of the boraras species will be ok. They don't hunt shrimp nearly as actively as some of the larger species. They will not eat adults, as they grow to be about 0.8". My adults can be larger than that (especially amanos). If you get cherry shrimp, the population will increase, provided you start with enough shrimp and they are large enough not to get eaten. You could also try sundadanio tetras. I hear they are a better choice for shrimp because they don't venture to the bottom as often.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's cool, so what would you recommend to eat leftover food? I owuld like to set up a mini biotope, so what would you recommend for plants and fish in the area of Southern and Western Borneo (Asia)?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

boraras are from there, as are danios (including CPDs), you could add RCS, CRS, tiger shrimp (i think), amano shrimp (not really that part of asia but close enough), and there are other shrimp from there. you could also add a sparkling gourami.

glosso (Glossostigma elatinoides) is from asia, as is riccia (Riccia flurtans). you could add crypts (Cryptocoryne sp.) and dwarf hairgrass (Elocharis acicularis) in the midground. for the background you could choose from rotalas. you could also put some limnophila aromatica for color (but its bulky). and asian ambulia (limnophila sessilifolia) would be great, but its hard to get a hold of since it is illegal to ship (owning is fine just no shipping) due to its status as a federal noxious weed (if you do get it you will see how invasive it can be if you dont trim it often enough).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

Pretty comprehensive plant guide that you can sort by region.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would not add CPDS with shrimp. Apparently, they will harass even adults to death, as well as eating shrimplets. I would not mix CRS and tigers. They can cross breed. I wouldn't get too concerned with sticking with a biotope, as RCS are originally from Taiwan, and Amanos are from Japan. Many of the plants in that area get a bit too big for a nano. You could try Crypt. Parva. I can't really think of much else that would fit in there. Many illegal-to-ship plants will find their way to you, if you know what I mean. Virtually all hobbyists have had some kind of hygro polysperma, which is also illegal to ship.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, I am unsure of the numbers I should get right now (HELP ME!!!), but I think I have made up my mind......

Fauna (What other inverts would you recommend, any snails?):

Boraras Merah
RCS

Flora:

Riccia
Crypts
Glosso (maybe)
Rotala rotundifolia
Limnophila sessiliflora

Also, what desk lamp would you recommend for a light, I found two that I like and are 18 watts of full spectrum flourescent lighting which is plenty for a 5 to 7 gallon nano, are there any others you would recommend for high light nano tank plants?....here are the ones I found:

http://www.target.com/Adjustable-Flu...20lamps&page=1

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...P1546:CL162726
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the last lamp is 27 watts just to tell you......
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think 27 watts would be overkill for a 5 to 7 gallon nano, don't you?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode