[New] Nano Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
[New] Nano Questions

Hi,

I have been browsing these forums for quite a while now and have finally decided to set up my own little nano tank. I'll post a full update with pics once i finish but i hoping someone with more knowledge than I could answer a few quick questions to get my tank finallized.

1. Im using RO water for my 2.5 gallon nano and i assume i dont need to dechlorinate RO water but i figured i would ask first before i killed something. So does RO water have chlorine in it?

2. I am planning on doing Glosso and hairgrass but would like a "more full" looking plant as kind of a center peice. Its only a 2.5 gallon so perferably something that wont overgrow the tank. Would a java fern be ok for a 2.5 gallon? Any other suggestions?

3. Maybe i just havent found it yet but is there a place on this site that gives instructions on how to plant aquatic flora? I assume it is mostly straightfoward but being very new to this if anyone has a link that gives directions on how deep to plant into the substrate or spacing I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. And thanks for such a helpful site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcadillac View Post
1. Im using RO water for my 2.5 gallon nano and i assume i dont need to dechlorinate RO water but i figured i would ask first before i killed something. So does RO water have chlorine in it?
It will depend of the types of cartriges that you have... but putting de-chlor would be a good thing. Think of it this way... getting rid of chlorine/chloramine that isn't there is better than not getting rid of any that is there.

HOWEVER... Don't use straight RO for setting up. Plants and fish need the minerals and carbon and much of the stuff that is in regular water. RO has removed all of this and your plants and/or fish will quickly die. You may want to figure out what types of plants... then what water those plants prefer... then cut your treated tap water with RO if your tap water is too high in PH/Hardness/KH to get the right starting levels. If you don't already have a test kit, I would recomend getting the 5-in-1 test strips. They are handy, easy, and quick to get a idea of where you water and tank stand. (Also, you can cut them down the middle with clean sissors and double your tests.)
Quote:
2. I am planning on doing Glosso and hairgrass but would like a "more full" looking plant as kind of a center peice. Its only a 2.5 gallon so perferably something that wont overgrow the tank. Would a java fern be ok for a 2.5 gallon? Any other suggestions?
I think java fern would work well, but you may have to trim out baby plants sometimes as they will grow off the leaves of the java fern. A dwarf anubias would probably be a nice centerpiece plant and a small piece of drift-wood is great for visual contrast. Of course, the speed of growth for your tank will depend greatly on your lighting.

What is your planed lighting situation?
Quote:
3. Maybe i just havent found it yet but is there a place on this site that gives instructions on how to plant aquatic flora? I assume it is mostly straightfoward but being very new to this if anyone has a link that gives directions on how deep to plant into the substrate or spacing I would really appreciate it.
This is the home page where you can find lots of good plant specific info https://www.plantedtank.net/

Really, the plants you choose will determine how you plant them. For example, using tweesers to drag little tufts of hair grass sideways into the substraight is the only way I can plant the stuff, however, java ferns and anubias don't prefer to have their rizome under the substraight, so you often have to tie them with thread or fishing line to a rock or wood to get them started rooting in the area you want them to.
Quote:
Thank you in advance for any and all help. And thanks for such a helpful site.
Oh, and WELCOME to The Planted Tank!

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi TAF CAF, thanks for your quick response and great info.

A questions for you, my LFS keeps most of there plants (and a fair amount of fish) in RO tanks. Now im sure they are adding micro nutrients to their water, but would RO + mirco nutrients be better than using tap water? Im sure this depends on the parameters of my tap water but in general would which would you recommend? Also would a plant need to be drip acclimated like a fish would when changing the water it is used to?

As far as lighting i have a desk lamp that I purchased two bulbs for. One is a 15 watt, 6500k, CF and the other is a 26 watt, 6500K, CF. I havent tested them yet but the light to heat ratio will deteremine which bulb i end up using.

And as embarrasing as this is i didnt know there was a home page to this site There is a lot of great info that i can find but i still havent found anything regarding planting. I might have to poke around a bit more though.

Again thanks for the help and ill will definitley check out the dwarf anubias and pick up a test kit the messures hardness and KH.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would really recomend going with at least 25% treated tap water. Probably 50% would be better. While micro-nutrients add many things that plants would need, I think most of them are based on the idea that you would be starting with tap water that contains small traces of things the fertilizers don't.

In general, plants don't need aclimation, but water parameters can affect their health in the long term... for example, my crystal shrimp tank runs very low PH and hardness and will cause 'vallisinaria' type plants to melt away over the long term.

For the lighting, I would recomend going with the 15 watt to start with. Pretty much every tank will have an algae bloom within the first month or two, but if you jump right to the 26 watt, I think you would have a hard time keeping the algae under control. If you don't think your plants are growing fast enough after that, you could move up to the 26.

Will you be using CO2 or dosing supliments for it?

Don't worry about not knowing the home page was there... I was posting on here for about a year before I knew about it. LOL

The 5-in-one dip strips measure Nitrate, Nitrite, GH (total hardness), KH (Alkalinity/Carbonate Hardness), and PH.

The only vital thing they don't measure is Ammonia. Which can be an important factor in a new tank, but once your tank is cycled (and the benificial bacteria going strong), it is seldom an issue. Of course, you can get seperate test strips for ammonia too, I think.

I think the anubias you will be looking for would be 'anubias nana petite' or something like that.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
having at least some tap is best for freshwater tanks. but RO has no chlorine, it is pure H2O.

i reccomend you use glosso, it spreads easier and dwarf hairgrass is 3 inches tall. add that to at least 2 inches of substrate and thats 5 inches, you wont have much a difference between the foreground and background.

use tweezers or hand (tweezers are much easier especially in small tanks) to insert plant roots into gravel. its pretty simple.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode