New to Plants - 10 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to Plants - 10 Gallon

Hello, first post here and looking for some advice.

I am restricted to only having a 10 gallon tank so i decided to go a planted route. I've been keeping cichlids for over 2 years and a new tank sounded like fun. I have questions for just about everything as i haven't done a tank this small yet. To get started im going to be using a 10 gallon standard glass tank, 24x8x12 or so.

Substrate:
I am probably going to use eco-complete but i was unsure if i should put a layer below that of peat, fluorite or another nutrient based soil? Also how deep is appropriate for plants or does that vary on the choice of plants?

Filtration:
I like the aquaclear 20 seems like that will be sufficient filtration for this little tank. Would this be appropriate? Would altering the media in the filter be a good idea or no?

Fish:
I'm either thinking a school of tetras or a few apisto's. I'm not sure if the apisto's would work for a small tank like this, let me know. What other sorts of non-fish inhabitants would work well?

C02:
I plan on using a DIY 2 two-liter bottles with a separation bottle to ensure theres no liquid that could get into the tank. I'm not sure what to do with the product end of the line. Can i hide in within the filter? Is there a better way to do it?

Plants:
Unsure yet have to check the local stores but I'm thinking a few tall/medium plants and some grass/moss type plants. I would like to have a nice thick cover on my substrate of green. A decent sized piece of driftwood with a plant or two attached to it.

Fertilizer:
Any recommendations as a general fert or does that depend on plant choice? Or is that unnecessary due to substrate?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felony View Post
Hello, first post here and looking for some advice.

I am restricted to only having a 10 gallon tank so i decided to go a planted route. I've been keeping cichlids for over 2 years and a new tank sounded like fun. I have questions for just about everything as i haven't done a tank this small yet. To get started im going to be using a 10 gallon standard glass tank, 24x8x12 or so.

Substrate:
I am probably going to use eco-complete but i was unsure if i should put a layer below that of peat, fluorite or another nutrient based soil? Also how deep is appropriate for plants or does that vary on the choice of plants?

Filtration:
I like the aquaclear 20 seems like that will be sufficient filtration for this little tank. Would this be appropriate? Would altering the media in the filter be a good idea or no?

Fish:
I'm either thinking a school of tetras or a few apisto's. I'm not sure if the apisto's would work for a small tank like this, let me know. What other sorts of non-fish inhabitants would work well?

C02:
I plan on using a DIY 2 two-liter bottles with a separation bottle to ensure theres no liquid that could get into the tank. I'm not sure what to do with the product end of the line. Can i hide in within the filter? Is there a better way to do it?

Plants:
Unsure yet have to check the local stores but I'm thinking a few tall/medium plants and some grass/moss type plants. I would like to have a nice thick cover on my substrate of green. A decent sized piece of driftwood with a plant or two attached to it.

Fertilizer:
Any recommendations as a general fert or does that depend on plant choice? Or is that unnecessary due to substrate?

Thanks for the help.
Hey felony,

Welcome to the plantedtank.net forum!

Here you will find lots of helpful people.

For substrate: eco complete is a really good choice. It's a complete plant substrate, so you actually don't have to add anything else like peat, laterite, etc. Usually about 2" of substrate is ideal. To calculate how much you need, just use the substrate calculator here: https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Aquaclear 20 is rated maximum capacity 20 gallon. This should be pretty good. I use an aquaclear 20 for one of my 10g as well. Most filter media types should work well. Carbon is usually not used on a permanent basis, just used to adsorb tannins, organics, heavy metals, remove medication, etc. However some use it 24/7. Other good media types include Seachem purigen, filter floss, coarse sponge foam.

As for fish selection, a school of tetras would work well. Apistos would be more suitable for a 20 gallon, but maybe 1 pair would do in a 10 gallon. They will establish a part of the tank near the bottom as its territory and defend it. But otherwise very peaceful and timid. Some schooling fish that prefers the top-level of the tank will do well with apistos, as apistos prefer the bottom part of the tank.

I'm not sure what you mean by the DIY co2 product at the end of the line. The CO2 line should be above the yeast/water/sugar solution near the top of the bottle, and the co2 gas as the only thing in the line. You can another bottle with only water in between the CO2 bottles and the tank. The co2 line will go under the water of this bottle. This way you can count the number of bubbles coming out. Then another tube going out of this bottle taking in gas from this bottle, going into the tank.

As for plants, a nice cover of green plants on the substrate could include dwarf hairgrass, pygmy chain sword, glossostigma, HC, HM, dwarf saggitaria. There are more choices. Just make sure to have a densely planted tank to start with, with lots of fast-growing stem plants. This way, you give the plants a headstart, not giving a chance on algae to grow. The slower growing plants will have a chance to catch up. As for plants on the driftwood, java fern and moss species can be tied to it without needing to be rooted.

Fertilizer would be recommended as most plants take in nutrients from the water column more than in the substrate. You can buy commercial fertilizer, and just use as directed. This is more costly but is easier to start with. The cheapest alternative is to use bulk dry fertilizers. You have to control exactly how much fertilizer you add as the dry fertililizers are extremely concentrated, so a good regiment of fertilizer dosing is needed. There are several methods of dosing regimes that work well depending on your needs.

Good luck on your tank. Look forward to pictures.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Hey felony!!

Send me a PM when you get close to planting some stuff and I can send you some items to put on your driftwood. No charge for the plants (how does a few of Java Fern-or hopefully I'll have some pieces of Anubias Nana ready) but I would like to be reimbersed for the shipping which is about $6.00 now. They look nice tied on to a piece of driftwood.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the help so far.

Whats the benefit of being able to count the bubbles of C02 besides knowing that the C02 is working?

Can i hide the output from the C02 in the filter or would it be better suited inside the tank?

Cycling question:
Does the tank need to be cycled before i add the plants?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felony View Post
Thanks for the help so far.

Whats the benefit of being able to count the bubbles of C02 besides knowing that the C02 is working?

Can i hide the output from the C02 in the filter or would it be better suited inside the tank?

Cycling question:
Does the tank need to be cycled before i add the plants?
The benefit of counting bubbles is to know exactly how much co2 you are putting into the tank at what rate. This is extremely important as co2 level has to be at an optimum level for optimum plant growth. The second factor that determines how much co2 is injected into the tank is the diffuser/reactor. If you have good reactor/diffuser, it means you get more of the co2 in the form of a gas from the cylinder/DIY bottle into the water column instead of the co2 bubbling out like pop.

As for hiding the output from the co2, it doesn't matter. Hiding it would look better, but it's up to you. As long as the co2 is diffused into the tank water then it doesn't matter where it is.

Cycling: You do not need to cycle if you start with a densely planted tank with lots of fast-growing stem plants and/or floating plants. Why? Plants prefer the uptake of nitrogen via ammonium as opposed to nitrite or nitrate. So this means all the ammonium is sucked up by the stem/floating plants as nutrient very quickly, keeping its concentration low. Eventually your nitrogen cycle bacteria will catch up to the bioload. So in a sense you are still cycling the tank, except that the plants make it a "silent cycle" by taking up the ammonium before there is enough for a lethal concentration. Of course, this does not mean you can stock your tank heavily with fish / animals right away. Plants can only take up so much ammonium so fast.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode