Newbie 10g planted *updated 3/05* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie 10g planted *updated 3/05*

Well this is my first post on the forum. I was referred here by a member from another board so I figured I would check it out

I have a 10g planted aquarium that I started right around new years and it has really come a long way since I started it. I am using eco-complete substrate, I have a DIY CO2 system hooked up, 1.5 WPG, and I'm dosing with Flourish and Flourish Excel.

Right now I'm trying to keep my hands out of my tank and just let the plants grow out some on their own but its really hard to do that.

Here are a few pictures of my tank, let me know what you think so far

Jan. 22nd

Feb. 11th

Current picture

Last edited by alter40; 03-05-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
It looks awesome!!! The plants are so thick and green and luscious

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. The moneywort right now isn't looking too good but I kinda expected that after I bought it and looked up more info on it online and saw it needed some stronger lighting. I have replaced some already with the crypt lutea and I may be getting rid of the rest of it shortly if it doesn't start looking any better.

I'm also battling some algae (staghorn algae I believe) that is growing on my java fern. You can probably see it in the picture. I increased my CO2 and I have changed my dosing somewhat as well. I dose 3 days a week, 1ml of Flourish and 2ml of Excel for each dose. I also cleaned off as much of the algae as I could last night when I did a water change so hopefully that will help some as well.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Looks really good. Keep in mind that the WPG rule doesn't really work on 10 gallon tanks. Intensity of the light matters too--15 watt is pretty dim. But it looks like you chose the right plants overall.

That algae on the java fern is killer. I'd manually remove it ASAP and hit it with H202 and/or excel, if you didn't already. You don't mention what livestock you have, but I think amano shrimp will eat that.

The little ball of moss looks sort of odd. Maybe stretch it out and tie it to your driftwood?

Keep us updated and nice tank!

Edit: Ahhh I see your stocking in your signature. Just a word of advice: I have two otos, and watching them play together, I would never ever think of getting just one. They're infinitely happier in a group. Just something to consider.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the stock bulb with a Coralife Nutri-grow plant bulb so hopefully that helps with my lighting a little bit but I think I'm going to leave this tank with the low lighting.

As for the moss, I'm hoping to have it spread to the substrate to create almost like a grassy looking bottom. I have it tied to the rock right now after my attempt to spread it out across the substrate didn't work out. I may attach it to the small piece of driftwood I have in the back left corner that is being used to hide my air line coming in.

I also removed as much of the algae as I could manually last night but there is still some there so I may have to go in and remove it more. I have been putting the dose of Excel right on the algae for the past week or so but it right by the filter output so it gets spread through the tank pretty quick.

You say amano shrimp will eat the algae but will cherry shrimp also do the same? I love the look of the cherries and wouldn't mind having them in there. Also I doubt the tetras or the oto would bother shrimp but I'm having my apistos shipped to me later this week and I was curious if they would bother any shrimp that I put in the tank.

Thanks for reading my long winded reply and any help you can give me. I'm still very new at dealing with live plants.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Cherries are significantly smaller than amanos. Smaller = might fit in an apisto's mouth. A benefit of cherries is that they'll breed in your tank, while amanos can't. I will venture to say that amanos/japonica shrimp are the tops when it comes to algae-eating common shrimp. It's up to you.

The moss is probably not going to spread out the way you want it to along the bottom. You can create a lawn by using some kind of plastic screen that you place over the moss and let it grow up threw the plastic.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I post the same question about cherries on another forum and got the same answer so I will stay away from them. Instead of dealing with the algae I decided to remove the java fern and I picked up a new one to replace it today. I also took the moss and attached it to the driftwood. I am getting 2 or 3 more bunches of moss next week I think from a friend of mine so I might try to put some kind of screen down for the moss to spread out on. If you can recommend something that I should look for at the hardware store please let me know.

I also took your recommendation on the oto as well and picked up another little oto. This one is about half the size of the other one and is fun to watch in there.

I also removed the moneywort because it had been looking worse and worse in my low lighting tank so I picked up a little bit of anacharis to replace that void in my tank.

I will post a few updated pictures in a little bit.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Ok I finally have some pictures for the update (delayed because of the lunar eclipse)

First here is a picture of the new oto. He is quite a bit smaller then the other one so I will try to get a picture of them together some time but they are kinda hanging out in the back together now.

Here is a picture of the new java fern and also my java moss now attached to the driftwood.

This is where I removed the moneywort from between the rocks and now have the anacharis.

Red wendtii showing more color

FTS
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions or recommendations for other low light plants for this tank would be great.

I would love to have some sort of carpet through the tank but I have no idea how to really do that or what, if anything, would be good for that in a low light tank like this. So if there is anything out there that would be good please let me know.

Thank you
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is turning into an awesome and EPIC tank...

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

นะกัดตัง กะขะชนะ
ตัวข้ามีกำลังดังพระยา ปลาในมหาสมุทร
สุกุโยเกล็ดแก้วมณีหุ้มห่อตัวข้าดังเกราะเพชร
พุตากะเก เขี้ยวแก้วทั้ง 4 ดุจตรีเพชร
หนุมาน มะอะอุปลา ใดมารอนราน วินาศสันติ
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Planted Member

hahaha I agree. This tank Will be quite EPIC by the time eric is done with it
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

geez, invading all the forums...

it is looking good though.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Lol I just came here for more info and suggestions for my tank and see what happens
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok today I picked up bottles of Flourish Trace, Iron, and Potassium.

I'm currently dosing 3 days a week with Flourish (1ml) and the Excel (2ml). With these new ferts should I dose these on the same days as the others or break it up and do different doses 5 days a week? Also what would be a good place to start as far as amount to dose as well.

I'm still new with planted tanks and I'm not comfortable with dosing the ferts yet so any help is appreciated. Thanks for any info
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Alright so here is the big picture update with my 2 new GBR's

Here are a couple of pictures of the male

Here is the female

And here are a couple of cropped pictures to zoom in on them
male:

female:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode