Coming Soon? - 1.25g Acrylic HUMIDOR Pico - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Coming Soon? - 1.25g Acrylic HUMIDOR Pico

So, on Saturday, my girl and I were out rummaging through a few thrift stores. She was looking for old cookbooks and who knows what else, and I was looking for (OF COURSE) cool containers that could make interesting pico's. There were a few contenders, but I just couldn't turn this one down:

In case you missed the post title it's an acrylic humidor. Holds about 1.3 gallons when filled to the top of the partition. The outer walls and bottom are all 1/4" acrylic. I'm not one for acrylic tanks, but it was in PERFECT condition, not a single scratch anywhere. The dimensions are 9.5"L x 8.5"W x 5.25"H. The partition is exactly an inch from the back wall.

Any thoughts? I'm debating on using it as a pico or maybe just throwing in some AS and using it as an emersed grow out tank.

~ Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
O..o
That partition screams 'sump' to me. IMO, the clear acrylic would be wasted on emergent plants unless you find a way to do a cool scape with live roots: like dark purple roots of Water Hyacinth with bright white roots from Hygros or Mint Charlie, some water lettuce and dark green moss on the bottom. Some slim manzanita sticks. Lighting small containers with tall emmersed plants has always been a pain for me.

Another random idea: ant farm

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
O..o
That partition screams 'sump' to me. IMO, the clear acrylic would be wasted on emergent plants unless you find a way to do a cool scape with live roots: like dark purple roots of Water Hyacinth with bright white roots from Hygros or Mint Charlie, some water lettuce and dark green moss on the bottom. Some slim manzanita sticks. Lighting small containers with tall emmersed plants has always been a pain for me.
v3
I like that idea, but then I remembered I'm not very good at keeping plants alive that aren't submerged in water, so I probably should save myself the heartache/headache and stick with a regular aquarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Another random idea: ant farm
BEST IDEA EVER!!!! Haha, I had an ant farm when I was 6 or so. I was so enamored I took it everywhere with me in the house. It was great until I knocked it over and spilled everything on the living room carpet. My mom wasn't too happy about that, and for some strange reason, I was never allowed to have another one

Edit: Holy cow! They still exist!. Uncle Milton Toys, eh? I am just now seeing the irony in that my ant farm was a gift from MY Uncle Milton. I'm sure he thought it was hilarious all those years ago. Well played Uncle Milt, well played.

|
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]

Last edited by nomad1721; 04-01-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Uncle Milton

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:59 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Built in overflow, very cool

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode