dekstr's 5g - April 13 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
dekstr's 5g - April 13

First off, this would not have been possible without the generosity of Homer_Simpson. Last week, he offered me ADA aquasoil Amazonia II for free...and I didn't even ask for it! I was definitely surpirsed and more importantly, VERY appreciative for the great gift. It was my birthday just on Feb 6, and probably as great a birthday present as one could get! So thanks again HS for the great gift. Watch out for some shipments to come your way as the weather gets warmer!

I have never really used any ADA products other than the books, so this will be my first time attempting some sort of 100% ADA-inspired tank.

Goals:
- To keep a good track of how much will be spent on the tank.
- To have a Nature Aquarium inspired tank.
- To try to use DIY on certain aspects to keep costs down so it gives others a good idea on how to build an ADA-inspired tank on a small budget.

I will greatly appreciate comments and suggestions, as this will be a work-in-progress.

Tank dimensions: 5 gallon, 16" x 8.5" x 10", $10.
Substrate: ADA aquasoil Amazonia II, FREE from Homer_Simpson
Lighting: Decided! 2x 13w 6500k CF spiral bulbs, DIY lighting system. $20
CO2: 2 litre DIY bottle
Filtration: Undecided
Flora: HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides)
Fauna: Undecided

Notes:
The tank originally had a top brace. I used an exacto knife to cut it off. It seems that the top brace is not needed for well-constructed tanks under 10g. The first time I tried to take a top brace off, I broke off pieces of glass on my 2.5 gallon. This time, I took my time and cut off the top brace w/o any damage. Then I used carpet razors to scrape off the excess silicon seams on the top.

This will be my 2nd attempt at HC emersed growth after the 1st try failed.

Looking forward to comments and help!

Regards,
Dexter

Last edited by dekstr; 04-13-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Awesome Dex. Look forward to seeing your progress as I would love to get something low-budget ADA-style nano going in my work office. It's pretty drab in here and it'd be nice to have some life.

Keep us posted!
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looking realy fun!

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoo View Post
Awesome Dex. Look forward to seeing your progress as I would love to get something low-budget ADA-style nano going in my work office. It's pretty drab in here and it'd be nice to have some life.

Keep us posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Looking realy fun!
Thanks! Will keep updated..hopefully.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lol, yeah please keep us posted. Progress and photo updates is the only repayment I am seeking
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm subscribing to this one. Looks like it will be a good one. I love the small tanks, it always amazes me how big they look when planted.

post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I might beat Cmlaracy's record for longest thread w/o water in the tank.

Right now short on $$$, so I think I will try emersed, that way, no filter is needed.

Some ideas I have thought of for filtration:

Internal filter, cheapest route, however, the cheapest. Should run $10-20.
Mini canister filter, either Zoo Med 501 or Tom Rapids C-80. $40-50. Best filter available probably, keeps tank real estate free.
mini HOBs -- I have tried HOB w/ co2. It works pretty well too, but would like to try the canister route.

Lighting--just today I saw spiral CF 13w bulbs at 6500k at Home Depot. Prices of CF spirals are getting cheaper and cheaper, and more variety. Pretty excited about this, they only sold 4100k prior, and 6500k looks way better. I am thinking of building a canopy that can run 3x 13w spiral bulbs, then suspending the lights (as shown in recent thread). I estimate this should cost around $30.

As for cabinet, I am getting pretty handy at them building simple designs, built two this week. Just need wood + screws + piano hinges, estimating to be ($30). I have black matte paint already.

Another issue to resolve is heating. Maybe an inline heater to keep the tank free of most equipment. This would work for a canister filter, just plumb it inline. CO2 can be done in-line as well.

Thanks vonzorfox, hopefully I can live up to expectations lol.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Internal you could try an elite mini... pretty small.
And that tank isn't an ADA huh?
Looks like the frame is still on the bottom
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Planted Member

It's always nice to see someone doing things like this that is in the same town as where i am. That way i know what you use can be found locally... subscribed....good luck , would luv some picture updates
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:24 PM

looks promising
only thing i would say is to dry plant the hc. other good plants i would reccomend are echinodorus tennellus for a good bushy space filling and easy plant, plus maybe some small crypts
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettxboii View Post
Internal you could try an elite mini... pretty small.
And that tank isn't an ADA huh?
Looks like the frame is still on the bottom
I think I looked into the elite mini. Haven't found any locally, and I think the flow is recommend for maximum 3 gallon. Maybe I could run 2 of those, but it will take too much space.

Thanks for suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuj View Post
It's always nice to see someone doing things like this that is in the same town as where i am. That way i know what you use can be found locally... subscribed....good luck , would luv some picture updates
Yeah the only hard items to find is probably the ADA aquasoil. Otherwise, rimless tanks you can custom order. Hopefully my project turns out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixAvery View Post
looks promising
only thing i would say is to dry plant the hc. other good plants i would reccomend are echinodorus tennellus for a good bushy space filling and easy plant, plus maybe some small crypts
Good idea! I have some tennellus so I'll give that a go. I'm constantly pushing people to trade fsome crypts to me for stem plants. Crypts grow too slow and are expensive to buy. Whereas stem plants grow so prolifically it's easy to use them for trade.
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey guys, I did a DIY lighting system and added HC today.

See the thread on DIY section for the DIY lighting system that cost about $20. Extremely easy to build.

The scape is just tempoary, I haven't decided what to do yet.

Oh yeah, sadly, I started with a 3x3 inch full pad of lush HC. After the failed emersed experiment the first time, I only have a few bits of HC left. So hopefully that grows back!
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Max flow on those things hit 58gph, not all that bad.
Looking pretty good dex, also try looking for them at a pj's pet if theres on near you
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
What brand is your tank, or did you make it yourself?
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
I think I looked into the elite mini. Haven't found any locally, and I think the flow is recommend for maximum 3 gallon. Maybe I could run 2 of those, but it will take too much space.

Thanks for suggestion.
Hey Dekstr, PJ pets carry the elite mini filter (i brought mine in the thornhill promenade locations few weeks ago) It is $13.87

But...I think they also have a sales on the pirates aquarium kit for $25 which include a 3gallon acrylic tank, fish food, conditioner and the elite mini filter...
if you want an extra tank, it is a pretty good deal...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode