14g BioCube filter/pump problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
14g BioCube filter/pump problem

I recently bought a 14g BioCube and planted it and grabbed some Bio-Spira.

I put in my fish tonight (a few cardinals) but they are having to swim with all their might to keep from being sucked into the BioCube filter.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Any tips or mods on slowing down the flow rate so these little fish don't stress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Those bio cubes have strong pumps. I have a couple 29G bio cubes and I fill the back with bio rings and floss. I also added a ball valve to the outlet of the pump in the back to control flow. That seemed to be the best trick.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

good tips, I appreciate the help. I'll give all of those things a try

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
How did this work out? I hope all is well with your 14.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I picked up a smaller pump and a ball valve and the combination seems to have cut the turnover in there by at least half.

Seems to make a lot more sense for the inhabitants now. Might still be slightly strong, but at least the fish don't seem to be struggling.

I haven't played around enough to figure out how to get better access to the bottom inlet and I don't want to put anything over it on the outside for aesthetics so that is the remaining thing to play with.

I certainly appreciate your tips!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:41 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi, sorry to bump up an old post, but I'm new here and using the search to try to find some answers. I've recently purchased a Biocube 14 and am having issues with the rate of flow as well. I put a Hydor Flor on there attempting to at least stop the continuous looping current that shot all my floating plants and small fish straight around the tank and into the filter intake.

It worked to redirect that, but now my water is pretty much in constant motion (although, my surface plants did stop spinning madly around the tank). I guess I need a less powerful pump, but I'm not sure what to buy. Any specific recommendations for a pump that I could use to replace the current one? I don't feel confident in my abilities to do any sort of tricky modifications or cutting or rewiring or anything. I just need something that can easily swap out and fits where the existing pump lives.

I've only had an aquarium for about two weeks now and I'm completely clueless. Please be nice. To the previous poster, when you mentioned stuffing the back with rings and floss, which chamber are you talking about? Did you remove the filter cartridge from chamber 1 and stuff everything in there?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up buying a 50gph pond / fountain pump from the garden center at walmart for dirt cheap.

I don't even use the ball valve now and the flow rate is almost perfect for keeping my stock of small freshwaters happy.

No mods required, pull out the existing pump and pop the new one in and turn it back on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode