5.5 gallon AGA (*PICS*) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
5.5 gallon AGA (*PICS*)

Today I decided to swap out my 5 gallon hex for a 5.5 gallon AGA. I'm using a base of mature eco-complete topped with inert fine gravel for substrate. I'm using a 27W full-spectrum desk lamp, dosing EI, CO2, and daily excel (small doses of course ) I'm still not positive what direction I'm going with this, but I'm leaning towards a dwarf puffer. I've already got about 100 snails left over from the hex, so he'll have plenty to eat. I'm not positive about the DP though. Can anyone recommend any "nano fish" from their own experiences? Input, suggestions and comments are MUCH appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Mike

Last edited by mikeb210; 02-11-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Soooooooo....... Nothing? Can anyone recommend any "nano fish" from their own experiences?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I think it depends what you're after. There's a Nano-fish list somewhere on here.

For my next tank I'm going to be looking at Pea-puffers. But i haven't had one yet. In all my nanos previously, I've just kept some ghost shrimp and pygmy cories. I'm looking at Micro-rasboras or Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) for my current 5.5 though.

Currently resetting...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I have some nano fish that I could recommend, but I stopped the instant I saw that you'll have a puffer in the tank. I have no idea what fish can or cannot go with a puffer.

My favorite nano fish are my microrasporas. I have Boraras maculatus which have proven to be very hardy and a beautiful rich color. I've also heard good things about Boraras brigittae. I'm also very happy with my dwarf/chain loaches, but they'd be too big for your tank even as a dwarf.

I also have pygmy cories and I like them, but they are actually so small, I can only see them if they're shaking their little bodies while foraging. I've also had a few die out for no reason so they seem to not be as hardy.

Still, I have no idea if any of these will do okay with a puffer or not.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I found peppered cory catfish to be pretty hardy in a nano. I had one survive 9 years in a filtered fish bowl with 50% weekly water changes. The tank was at work and there were times that water changes were missed but it never effected him.

Endler's live bearers, amano shrimp, and whitecloud minnows are good candidates for nanos, and IME pretty hardy.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the responses all! Vicki I'm not keeping them with the puffer. Its puffer or nanofish. I'm unsure about the nano fish and wanted to hear peoples' experiences with them, not just what people have read but actual experiences (much like what you provided ) Does anyone know anywhere to obtain the boraras maculatus? I've looked at franks but the S+H is $35. I'd prefer not to spend that if possible. Any chance someone would have them on the swap n' shop? Would 6 maculatus plus a pygmy cory be too much for the 5.5? Also, how hardy are the micros?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Ember Tetras with some shrimp would make a nice little tank imo. If you can find them that is.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
mikeb: DPs are pretty darn cool if you're still considering one. They have lots of personality and learn when you are anywhere remotely near the tank they can beg for food. You'll want to have a tank with a renewable snail source for feeding if possible. I didn't see anything about a heater... They like it a little on the warm side.
Looks like a great start though. Dunno how I missed this one the first time.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
microrasbora maculatus or sparkling gouramis I have both and they are hardy and colorful.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Go for the single puffer. Schooling fish need more space than a 5.5g can provide. Ember tetras would not be happy in a 5g tank. Peppered cories for sure wouldn't be.

Dwarf cories would be happier in a larger tank IME.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm really leaning in the direction of the puffer. I have around 100 snails in this 5.5 gal. How long will they last? I only have one other tank and there are only a few in there for now. Does my tank look to be planted enough for a dp? I've read that they need a well planted tank to break up their line of sight. MrJG - I have a heater in the tank, behind the piece of wood. I've got it set around 79 for now. That should be warm enough right? Thanks for all the responses!

- Mike
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What kind of snails you got? MTS might not be a good choice of food, since DP's can't get to the bigger ones (tough shell).

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
mikeb: as long as you keep a snail population going in another tank its no big deal. Just take out 5-6 every few days as they get bigger and feed them to the puffer. I feed mine 100% pond snails (or at least thats what I think there are in there who knows). I tend to feed the CRS tank well because I'm trying to get them to breed and the snails eat any excess food left from a feeding which keeps the population going fairly strong. Move as many as you can to your other tank if you don't mind them in there. It wouldn't take long for a DP to run through 100. Another thing too... as far as being able to break the snail shells. They would have to be uber-small for a DP to actually eat the shells. Mine usually stalks, grabs them by the foot, and eats the insides out of the shells. Shell removal becomes part of the maintenance schedule, which I've only recently found is super easy by using a small piece of airline tubing as a siphon.

79-80 is plenty warm for a DP. And don't worry too much about line of sight, thats mainly to curb aggression when you have multiple males in a tank. If you stick with only 1 you'll be fine.. I think 1 per 5 gallons is recommended however mine seems to be cool alone in a 2.5 You do want to have lots of interesting spots for the puffer to hunt in. If they get bored they pace the glass which is a sign that they need more visually interesting surroundings. It should always be lurking about with its eyes swiveling around looking for the next meal.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
i actually have 2 dwarf puffers in my 5 gallon eclipse mildly planted. Had them for abotu a year now with no problems. They are funny evil critters tow atch when they hunt/play with the snails.

i feed them blood worms as well as fish out snails from my rcs/crs tank.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just looking at this tank, what would look better in there? A dp or a few tiny fish?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode