Three rocks and some plants (56K W) More Pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Three rocks and some plants (56K W) More Pics

Hello everyone

*Disclaimer : I'm not an aquascaper, just a plant keeper, LOL *

I don't claim this tank to be an Iwagumi scape/layout, I just wanted something to help me with everyday stress at the office

Tank : 40 cms (16") long, 25 cms (10"), high, 35 cms (14")width (10 cms were made for filtration and DIY Co2) 6mm regular glass glued with black silicon

Capacity : 35 liters (9.25 galons), 25 (6.6 gal) for inhabitants, decor and plants, 5 (1.3 gal) for filtration an 5 (1.3 gal) for the DIY setup.

Stand : Office furniture.

Base : Acrylic and polyestirene (sp ?).

Lighting : 2 x 15 watts 6,500 °K GE CF, lamp made of aluminum and glass mirrors, covered by an acrylic drawer.

Filtration : Modular with Hagen sponges and Sera floss. In the last chamber is a Boyu internal filter, this filter serves as a Co2 diffuser as well.

Co2 : DIY

Temperature : Pre-Set 25 watts submersible Sunny heater in the filter's last chamber, Azoo mini thermometer.

Subtrate : Mexican 2-3 mm. Onyx with some osmocote granules.

Decor : 3 black lava rocks.

Flora : Lemna Minor, Najas Guadalupensis, Echinodorus Tenellus and Eleocharis Párvula.

Fauna : 10 Cherry shrimpp, snails. There was an Otocinclus Affinis but it past away during the move to the office. As soon as I can I will take a look to see which fish specie I could introduce without representing danger to my shrimp.

Fertilizers : EI-sh

W/C : 50% Weekly

Before showing you the pics, I would like to mention that the entire seup is DIY (Except the obvious)

Now... tha pics:

Stand :

Sight from my chair :

Do you notice it change a bit ? lol.

Right side:

Left side :

Front:

Snail sneaking Lemna Minor's roots :

Cherries :

For what is worth, I cycled the tank at home wit just a few plants, now they are bigger.

RAOKS:

Rocks : 1Alfredo
Eleocharis Parvula : Wartime, 1Alfredo
Najas Guadalupensis : Fong

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this thread, and any input will be greatly appreciated .

Regards,

Guillermo / Mexico City

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Guillermo; 02-12-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
What an awesome setup. Do you have any pics of the inside of the filter?
Very neat idea and very well executed.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the kind words EBB, glad you like my tank.

Quote:
Do you have any pics of the inside of the filter?
I noticed I didn't take one single pic of the filter/DIYCo2, but I will take some and upload them ASAP.

Regards

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Very nice three rocks, plants and shrimp!

Considerate of you to mention:
Quote:
RAOKS:

Rocks : 1Alfredo
Eleocharis Parvula : Wartime, 1Alfredo
Najas Guadalupensis : Fong
Thanks for sharing with us

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very Very nice!!!!!

I don't think I've ever seen another tank from Mexico. How is the hobby down there? Are there a lot of aquarists? How are the local fish stores?

Thanks for sharing!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi NeonShrimp, thanks for your comments.

RAOKS are always welcome, these guys are awesome, I'm always willing to donate plants whenever it's possible as well. Every time someone of my circle of "green" friends is setting up a tank, there's a lot of RAOKS all over the place, lol. In this case I was seeking for the E. P. and the dealer ran out of stock, but my friends were very kind and donated it for this little tank.

Regards

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Ed, thanks for your comments.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen another tank from Mexico
See my sig, lol.

Quote:
How is the hobby down there?
Well, I can say that most of the people like to keep goldfish, guppies, or big fish like piranha, pacu, oscars. Planted tanks are not very popular, fortunately in recent times some dealers are importing great stuff like Tropica and Lucanas (from Spain) and we can buy many plant species. I could say Planted Tanks "culture" is in diapers yet, but we are trying to make it grow, we'll see what happens.

Quote:
How are the local fish stores?
LFS are in decline, it's a shame, but we have two "fish-marts" where you can find almost anything you need for setting up aquariums or for your pet (dog, cat, hamster, bird) at good prices.

You can´t find good fish quality in some species like discus or apistogrammas, that's one of the reasons I quit keeping discus fish.

Regards

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi again, eyebeatbadgers asked for some pics of the filter, so here they are :

From left to right: sponges, termometer, floss, internal Boyu filter and heater, DIY Co2

Close up to the filter & heater:

DIY Co2 Bottles :

Bare lamp:

Lemna minor from top :

Acrylic cover :

Thanks for looking.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Awesome setup, I like the clean look. Thanks for some inspiration for my 2.5g
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Glad you like it TurtleBoy, thanks for your comments.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
one of the best and clean diy tanks i have seen. Bien hecho! what part of Mexico, El D.F. ?

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi MARIMOBALL, thanks for the kind words, yes I live in Mexico City (El D.F.) Have you been here ?

Regards

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yes a long time ago. I went in 1986 as a child to see various world cup games in Mexico with my dad, and D.F. was one of my favorite places I got to visit. El Museo was one of the best I have gone to. Keep us updated on your tank.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Glad you could come to Mexico's '86 Soccer World Cup. Maybe I will wait to the Najas to grow to post an update. A friend of mine suggested to plant some ludwigia arcuata to give it a little red touch, he has some trimmings for me. If I decide to include the LA I will post some pics.

Regards

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode