10 g Journal (pictures) Updates *2/12/08* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post 10 g Journal (pictures) Updates *2/12/08*

I am attempting to make a journal of the development of my 10 gallon tank. I'll try to update, but I'm not very consistent in that department.

Anyways, tank specs are:

-10 g
-2x15w compact florescent bulbs
-Penguin 125 filter
-Onyx Fluorite
-Black Sand

What I have done so far:

Any ideas on better positioning for the drift wood? I've messed around with it a bit and thats the best I could get.
Closer look at the wood:

I'm going to start adding plants tomorrow, as well as setting up a DIY CO2 generator with yeast. Will I be fine if I use the filter to diffuse the bubble? I initially wanted some rocks, but the LFS had only lava, and I dislike the look. I have a bunch of lace rock, but if I remember correctly ups the PH, and I don't want that. I have some lime rock as well, but surprisingly that ups the PH as well! Anyways, comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Spencer

Last edited by The Fish; 02-13-2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: pictures indicated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 AM

I would suggest diffusing C02 using a modified filter as described here:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html

If you do this and change your c02 brew every two weeks you will be able to maintain consistent 30 ppm c02 levels. Maintaining consisent c02 levels is really important if you want to prevent a hostile algae takeover of your tank. This is the way that I diffuse c02 in my 10 gallon and it is so efficient that I have to run an airstone 24/7 just to keep the co2 levels from creeping up to dangerous levels.

Another thing which is really important and just about everyone including myself has battled algae will tell you: Jam pack your tank full of the plants and add some floating plants(15% of tanks surface) right off the bat, otherwise you will end up with huge algae issues and will have to battle for months to get the algae under control.

Make sure you purchase healthy plants and don't keep your tank lit for more than 7-8 hours to prevent algae. Also look into Estimative Index Fertilizing and begin fertilization right away.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

Make sure that you set up everything all one go: Lighting, c02, and plants all at once. I didn't do this when I set up my 40 gallon and ended up with an algae farm for the longest time.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, I'll just keep the lights off for now, I just put them in today. Tomorrow I will pick up plants, as well as materials to finish my DIY CO2, and for sure, I'll keep it updated, I'm not a novice to the hobby, just to planted tanks .

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
...I'm not a novice to the hobby, just to planted tanks .
Lol, I hear you. I have kept aquariums for 9 years but fish only and only got into planted tanks about 6 months ago. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have done things much differently. My lack of knowledge and stupidy when I started off landed me in hot water. I just would hate to see anyone else make the same mistakes that I did, that's all.

Good luck.

You have a beautiful tank to start off with and I am sure that once you have everything in place it will be really nice. Keep us updated and be sure to post pictures.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, tomorrow will be the big update, I have ~100$ to spend on plants + diy CO2. My LFS has a fairly good selection of plants, so I'll buy as much there, then fill in the rest with specialties or rarer types of plants from online. I'm definitely hoping to incorporate micro sword, and java fern and some Anubis, but I made a list of easy to grow/cool plants and their requirements so I can take that with me.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plant day!

Are these anubias petite?

It's still a bit cloudy because I kicked up some stuff, also, I had to do a water change because I failed to put a one way valve on the DIY CO2, a bit of yeast leaked into the tank, so I'm going to get a one way valve and a limiter for the CO2 because I was getting too much bph, for now I can use seachem excel.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Thumbs up

Looking Good! You have banana plants not anubias. They will shoot out huge leaves and the tubers will eventually form roots that will root deep into the substrate. When I had banana plants in my tank, I found that the tubers eventually rotted and broke off and then plant growth eventually slowed down and stopped.

If you continue with water changes, 2x week the cloudiness should settle. If not Seachem Clarity works really well at clearing it up quickly without harming the plants.
http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/Clarity.html
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The water has cleared for the most part, and I'm going to do another wc today. Any ideas on more plants? I'm thinking some petite nana, and Crypt. Lutea.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I think an Amazon Sword will do nicely in the empty back

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Great start and love the driftwood. Agreed about Banana Plant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Whew! I'm very pleased at the shape my tank is taking. I'm already noticing a lot of growth as well. I've taken out the banana plants, as they seemed to be rotting away like you said, but very prematurely. I doubt this was my causing, because the plants looked very unhealthy to begin with. Anyways I've ordered 2 different crypts, and 2 anubias nana petite. I think that will do for awhile. Do you think that I could add dwarf sags without too much take over? I want a bit of an open space where I have it now, but its too bare, will the crypts be enough?

Tank Shot With Clearer Water:

New Growth on the Bunched Plants (ID please?):

More Growth:

Showing the Microsword:

Anubias Flower:

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The Bunch Plant on the left looks like Rotala Macranda: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...macrandra.html

Tank looks nice!

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah, thanks for the help, but I had ID'd that plant already. I'm looking for an ID on the first pic of plant growth. Thanks anyways!

EDIT:

I noticed that you changed your post, hehe. Are you sure that is Giant Red Rotala? My LFS listed it under medium light, and the leaves are much smaller than the profile you posted. The plant is also in one of their show tanks and does not look like the pic you posted at all (maybe I'm wrong, I'm no plant expert).
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well I'm no plant expert either...I just go on the plant search and give you links of what I think look like your plant

But the leaves could be smaller because of light or nutrient deficiency....

I'm pretty sure it's Rotala something.....

EDIT: It could be Rotala Rotundifolia, since your LFS says it's medium light....

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I think you're right. The description says its also very common in the aquarium trade, and my LFS usually has only the common aquarium plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode