Shrimp Highball - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp Highball

Im considering a trim

Getting some more red.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nolan; 04-29-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cant fit my scissors back here to trim the roots

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I love the "let it grow wild" look of the first photo, whats the insanely long growing emesed/submerged plant(s)?
Have you added shrimp? All I've spotted in a snail in the photos so far.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I love the "let it grow wild" look of the first photo, whats the insanely long growing emesed/submerged plant(s)?
Have you added shrimp? All I've spotted in a snail in the photos so far.
yes they are in there. I guess I should try to get a good pic of them since I put Shrimp in the title.

As you can see they have lots of places to hide so its not easy.

The taller plant is water wysteria(Hygrophila difformis) and the other is ludwigia repens.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
wow that is dang nice.

not much source for nitrogen Im assuming its your enriched substrate? are you dosing Ill go back and reread if I missed, i was looking at pics. that is great emersed growth. something is making those plants do steroids do you have a link to the actual light bulb you are using, and does sunlight factor in here

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
this is the epitome of low tech growth, it looks like you juice them with gas but its all natural. I bet its total substrate enrichment, this is the difference between sterile substrates and those that have instant "age" when setting up a tank due to their organic profile. the lighting is also superb spectrum and intensity for this low tech setup. your thread is great to link for those big tanks stuck right in between high and low tech with nothing decisive either way, and they are getting algae coverage and spindly plant growth. simply maximizing where nutrients come from, and getting the light just right like above, is huge. you'll have this tank growing plants on your floor while others spend four thousand bucks trying to get half that much in a 65 g planted. hyperbole included but you get my point.

none of the problematic, midrange low/hi tech tanks up top have that kind of root mass, extrapolating these details up to their tanks can fix em.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Last edited by brandon429; 05-01-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: sp
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon429 View Post
wow that is dang nice.

not much source for nitrogen Im assuming its your enriched substrate? are you dosing Ill go back and reread if I missed, i was looking at pics. that is great emersed growth. something is making those plants do steroids do you have a link to the actual light bulb you are using, and does sunlight factor in here
The substrate is miracle grow organic choice. Light bulb is http://www.soap.com/p/ge-78951-energ...lb-2-pk-236283

I occasionally dose micros via seachem flourish. like four times a year

I think the sunlight plays a role. I did have a different tank in this same spot with no light other than the window, and had similar results with the wysteria growing high above the water. Its a north facing window so it is low light for sure but its steady all day light.

Here is a pic of that tank, my very first

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon429 View Post
this is the epitome of low tech growth, it looks like you juice them with gas but its all natural. I bet its total substrate enrichment, this is the difference between sterile substrates and those that have instant "age" when setting up a tank due to their organic profile. the lighting is also superb spectrum and intensity for this low tech setup. your thread is great to link for those big tanks stuck right in between high and low tech with nothing decisive either way, and they are getting algae coverage and spindly plant growth. simply maximizing where nutrients come from, and getting the light just right like above, is huge. you'll have this tank growing plants on your floor while others spend four thousand bucks trying to get half that much in a 65 g planted. hyperbole included but you get my point.

none of the problematic, midrange low/hi tech tanks up top have that kind of root mass, extrapolating these details up to their tanks can fix em.
Wow! I never expected such high praise. Thanks!

I was inspired by this cylinder. Hopefully mine is inspiring others as well.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Look at those roots!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
What plant is that that is growing out with a red stem and green smooth leaves? I have a ton that overtook my emmer see tub and making it a Forest and cannot remember the name! I love the wild look

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockadoodle View Post
What plant is that that is growing out with a red stem and green smooth leaves? I have a ton that overtook my emmer see tub and making it a Forest and cannot remember the name! I love the wild look
That is Ludwigia repens, its funny right under the water surface its green stemmed with red leaves and when it breaks the surface it reverses.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode