My Eclipse 6 - Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
My Eclipse 6 - Planted

First time with real plants, I have learned so much all ready. I'm trying to figure out a way to cram more light into this Eclipse. There is a 13 Watt retrofit kit available, but I might try some DIY first.

Let me know what you think:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
its nice but it would look better with some fine leaved plants and a carpet. i kept a planted eclipse six with 36w stuffed into the hood. with the original lighting, you did great.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tamelesstgr...nice nano! I'm new to this...what equipment makes up this little floral world of yours?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Eclipse 6 contains the filter system in the hood along with the light. It's convenient. The gravel is a finer grade, kind of like saltwater sand. I used Flourish substrate tabs for my fertilizers.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
its nice but it would look better with some fine leaved plants and a carpet. i kept a planted eclipse six with 36w stuffed into the hood. with the original lighting, you did great.
Hi May I ask what light you stuffed in the hood?
I have a 12 gal eclipse.

Tamelesstgr; I love your tank. Very nice!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:06 PM

nice hex, I need my to grow like that.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

not sure, but ill check on wednesday (it sounds weird but its not in the house im in at the moment, but ill get back to you)

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

its a SmartLite retrofit but they discontinued the product. the tank is now a mini reef and another bulb was put in recently, its a sunpaq retrofit. its made by current usa.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Very nice tank! I like the color choices. The black substrate really makes things look crisp and clean!

I have four of the 5 gallon Eclipse tanks and have thought of doing something with the lighting, but then I realized that heat would be an issue. As it is, the sparse 8w bulb that comes with the setup heats up the water a couple of degrees (mine stay around 80 because of the lights).

And then the filter blocks half the light so it would have to be changed which means the lid would have to be modified to allow a HOB or other filter.

By the time I figured out just how much I'd have to do and the money I'd have to spend to do it, I realized it wasn't worth it. So my 5g Eclipse tanks will remain low light tanks.

Fortunately, they do grow low light plants. So I'm hoping as I learn more about the various plants out there, I can expand my plant variety for my 5g nanos. I'd love to have mine look like Tamelesstgr's!

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm no expert, I'm very much a noob with plants. I really like the way they look in a tank versus gimick ships and fake plants.

I started out with the nana's. They looked well, and even sprouted a few new leafs. Then I added the crypt. They were melting a little bit in the fish store, but the bad ones were trimmed or melted right away. Now they seem to have better color and are perking up a bit.

The rotala I am not so sure will last, it needs more light, but for a few bucks, I figured I would give it a shot. Same thing for the scarlet temple in front. It has lost some of the reddish tint, it also needs more light.

I have been thinking about changing my light to something like this:

3 gallon Eclipse thread

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

That hygro on the left and right are going to get pretty big, just so ya know.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Thanks for the link, Tamelesstgr! I love the idea!

I've often wondered just how much Marineland would make if they offered a lighting upgrade kit.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Looks clean and simple!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode