Nano in the Planning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nano in the Planning

Today I came into 4 great plexiglass cubes. They're not meant originally for aquarium use (they stored candy in a prior life), but with ~1/4" plexi, I think they should be ok. I worked out the sizes of them and this is what I have: 8.5g., 3.5g., 2.5g., and a 1.8g. I would have loved to have used the 2.5 because it has the least scratches all around, but it has 4 roughly quarter inch drilled holes at bad heights (who knows why they needed holes in a candy bin).

So, I'm planning to set up the 3.5g. which I've already sealed with clear silicone today. Another reason I want to use it is because it fits nearly perfectly over a glass inlay on a table I have. I think it would make a nice addition to the area. What tank wouldn't

But, my plans aren't quite finalized. I'm torn between using wood or stone hardscape. I'm leaning toward an iwagumi-esque style. Hopefully in the next week I'll be able to order Eco Complete and Tahitian moon sand for other projects and see what's left over. I should be getting some glosso in the mail this week, and I'm hoping to use that as the main plant if I go with stones.

Anyway, rambling aside, more to the questions I have. Since this tank will be on a fairly nice piece of furniture (water=bad) and I want it to be as streamlined as possible, I was *thinking* of going filterless. Of course I'd add airation to prevent stagnation and keep things going. I'm planning to use a lamp with a 10w 6500K fluorescent bulb and DIY CO2. I may end up stocking the tank with shrimp I have. Obviously if it was filterless, that might make for some unhappy shrimp. I'd probably go with RCS though.

Would it be planted enough to go filterless? Comments/criticisms/experiences? Keep in mind that money is an issue

I'm open to suggestions .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
A heavily planted tank "can" go filterless, but there is no water movement so you might also be faced with some issues regarding algae, CO2 distribution and such. Also, water clarity might be an issue. I'm so far from an expert but I'm guessing that if nothing else, a small filter would help keep the water clear. I would give it a go, and if worse comes to worse then add a palm filter like the Azoo model. Its tiny and doesn't take up much room at all. Good luck!

-Mike
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thank you, Mike! That was helpful. I am actually planning to buy the Azoo Palm Filter from Drs Foster and Smith catalogue sometime in the coming week. I have an airpump on it now for circulation. Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If there's an airpump, then there's no need for co2.

But it's nice you have the azoo palm filter. It will work very nicely as you get good water movement and filtration without gassing out the co2. The trick is to get good water movement without disturbing the surface too much as to cause ripples and bubbles.

Looking forward to some picture updates!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode