Setting up a 20H Amazon Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow Setting up a 20H Amazon Biotope

hello everyone, i am currently in the process in Setting up a 20H Amazon Biotope Tank, i am unsure of which fish to keep yet, i have the tank,lights, and filter. but here is my problem, i would like to make this a Amazon Biotope, but after searching for a while, i have found no information on what kind of plants are in the Amazon. so could you please give me a list of plants in the Amazon habitat?

thanks in advance,
-trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
First off please choose something different then discus! They need much more room than a 20H can give. For the two I would say a 55g with a third Discus.

Water Lettuce, Salvinia, Utricularia foliosa, Amazon Sword, and Vallisneria are some that come t mind for plants. Hatchetfish, bloodfin Tetras, Cories, and Rams are more suitable fish for this setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Pretty much any kind of sword plant. some nice manzanita wood would smulate tree roots nicely.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
First off please choose something different then discus! They need much more room than a 20H can give. For the two I would say a 55g with a third Discus.

Water Lettuce, Salvinia, Utricularia foliosa, Amazon Sword, and Vallisneria are some that come t mind for plants. Hatchetfish, bloodfin Tetras, Cories, and Rams are more suitable fish for this setup.
thanks for the fast reply.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

ok so here are my current plans for livestock, i was thinking of keeping a school of neon tetras, cory catfish, and maybe 1 or 2 silver dollars . what do you guys think?

EDIT: also for plants i would like to keep Amazon Sword,Dwarf sword plant, and hairgrass, the substrate i will be using eco complete
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
No to the silver dollars too, no Angelfish either; nothing over 3" in length when full grown should be a good guideline. Dwarf South American Cichlids like the Blue Rams as suggested would be a good choice.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Silver Dollars get too large for a 20g. They are also schooling fish and the minimum would be about a 55g aquarium as well. Neon Tetras, Cory's, couple of Oto's, and maybe some South American Dwarf Cichlid(Ram, certain Apistograma).

Find whats available and research the fish. Anything that gets over 6 inches sould not go in a 20g(most of the time).

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the info on the silver dollars, hmm i had not thought of Otos or rams. thanks for the great info!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Also, look for species of Amazon Sword that are bred to be compact, otherwise most will quickly grow to fill the aquarium. I have a variety called 'compacta' that grows to about half the size of that aquarium foot print, which for an Amazon Sword is small.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Also, look for species of Amazon Sword that are bred to be compact, otherwise most will quickly grow to fill the aquarium. I have a variety called 'compacta' that grows to about half the size of that aquarium foot print, which for an Amazon Sword is small.
Lower lighting will not make the sword grow very quickly.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
Lower lighting will not make the sword grow very quickly.
lower light. hmm... what is the minimum WPG for Amazon Sword,Dwarf sword plant, and hairgrass?
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's relative. I have one of the 'compacta' amazon swords and under only 15 watts of lighting it has filled half of the 10 gallon it is in, it did not take long, a couple months, that's without CO2 or supplemental ferts, only with the poo of a single fish.

If the OP chose a standard variety that was not growth limited by genetics to the smaller size, he'd just have to tear it out when it finally did get too big.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

hey, what do you guys think those plant grow bulbs?(link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=13827 ) are they worth getting, or just money down the drain?
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never used them, but if I were to switch to T5 HO I would. I'm told by those that have used both those and the GE 9325K bulbs that they are very similar in light spectrum output. You'd probably want to balance out the purple/pink with yellow/white light though. I've found that the pink/purple of the GE bulbs can cause everything to look a bit... weird. It almost doesn't matter, as long as you're between 5000K and 10,000K ratings, just what looks best to you.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

ok another noob question. for substrate, can i just use eco complete? or should i mix it with gravel? which would give me better results?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode