12" x 12" x 12" ----> that is NOT a Cube <---- 1 month update w/Pics - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
1 month update

Pretty boring update as the vase is doing well. The biggest change was my brother-in-law (yep, right) dumped 3 fancy guppies and 5 Neon Tetras on me with little notice. I had no place for them, so, this is where they went about 2 weeks ago.

On the other front, this is my first ever 100% inert substrate set-up: nothing but sand and black lava rock. I did add 1 O+ right in the center. I am curious how the plants will do with barren substrate. So far, so good.

Another semi-revelation is that keeping poop, black dust, and other unspeakables off light color sand is proving to be a real PITA. The only good news here is that the sand area is not the large and I can just top-off / replace the sand rather quickly when it really starts to annoy me.

This cyclinder is running with HOB and gets ~50% WC every couple of weeks. The moment I can re-home the extra fish, I plan on ditching the HOB and decrease the number of WC to once every month+. Otherwise, pretty low maintenance with no visible algae to date: I have not even cleaned the glass once yet.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
1. This is terrific! Maybe your best bowl/smaller container yet. The lava rock with contrasting sand is spectacular.

2. YES to the guppies! Yes yes yes. They look perfect. I tend to loathe guppies but they look so cool in this setup. Hopefully not enough to cause me to set up another tank, though.

TAKE MORE PHOTOS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I love this jar, so jealous of it.

You've done a beautiful job on it, I'll be keeping my eyes open on infrequent trips out of the house for one close to this.

" border="0" />

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where did you find that cylinder? price range?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
beautiful jar. what is the tiny HOB you have??

-Jacklyn
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
These are both fantastic!

What is the red plant you have in the cylinder?
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/97%)
In a long time I have seen a successful nano attempt. This looks gorgeous.

||
||

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Stunning work
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Did you order that black lava stones online? It almost looks like Orchid substrate.

|||
|||
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Boring update my a$$. Vase is looking awesome. Some RCS walking around the white sand would look awesome.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
OVT
Carpe Diem

Thank you people.
I updated the OP with some answers to some questions.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love this vase. I was looking at something similar through Amazon. I posted about it earlier in the week and got feedback that the tank I was looking at had bubbles and imperfections. I don't see too many bubbles in the pictures you took. How is your vase in real life. Are the imperfections in the glass annoying to you?

I originally wanted a rectangular shaped cube from the seller I was considering. Now that I see your cylinder, I am changing my mind!
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
OVT
Carpe Diem

I really really like that vase. There is something special when it comes to cylinders. My wife said that it is a more natural shape then a rectangle. The fish seem to agree: they keep swimming around the perimeter: no walls to bump into.

The glass quality is bad, pretty bad. But looking at the end-result from a step away just makes the quality of the container a non-issue. I was not happy when the vase arrived, but it was the only one I could find in the shape and size I wanted. The clarity is good, the 'distortion' is uniform, so, I can live with some bubbles and smudges.

This vase had no stickers. All vases of much superior quality that I have or have seen were made in Poland. Just check out the Crate and Barrel web site. If you can catch their stuff on sale, they are well worth the price, imho.

v3
Discusluv likes this.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Last edited by OVT; 04-27-2014 at 12:21 PM.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I love this simple tank/ idea. Very innovative and inspiring. Well done sir!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really cool.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode