Can I grow anything with a 9watt lamp on a 5-gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm thinking of getting a 5-gallon tank (Jebo) tank for my betta, and the one I'm looking at only comes with a 9-watt light. Is there anything I could grow at 1.8 wpg?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yes...Java fern, java moss, hornwort & anubias barteri.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:37 AM

I have 15w over my 20g high tank (I am orderign a 55w bright kit this week), and right now my swords are growing pretty good, and so is my green and sunset hygros. I lose some leaves from the hygos, but they are still grwoing overall.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenac
Yes...Java fern, java moss, hornwort & anubias barteri.
What about Anubias nana and Anacharis?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've personally never had much luck with Anacharis in low light, but A. nana shoudl do splendedly, along with most of the common species of crypts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Running a similar setup right now w/a clippings tank (too busy at the moment to pick up an AH supply kit). The current lighting over the 5-gallon right now happens to be a mini-mite deluxe (2x9), but at the moment, only running one right now since one of the bulbs is out and have yet to be replaced. Hence, only half the tank is actually lit. The plants which are in the tank and are doing well (growth and root development), although leaning towards the light, include: green hygro, java fern, Ludwigia inclinata, riccia, and some dwarf lilly bulbs.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

Try some of the smaller, easier crypts, too. If the light is a power compact bulb and also includes a reflector in the fixture, it's probably equivalent to having 13W of normal-output fluorescent lighting over the 5-gallon. You could probably grow some medium-light plants like R. indica and Bacopa monnieri if you provide ample amounts of nutrients and CO2.

Power compact lighting is more efficient so you can usually get away with lower wattage. The light distribution is not always good, therefore you may need to put the more light-demanding species right under the light.

Anacharis is a species that requires very strong lighting. It also prefers cold water. The only way I can keep it alive is to leave it floating. But YMMV. Egeria najas may be okay in your tank. It's not as attractive as E. densa, though, IMO. Harder to find, too.

If you're using a good substrate, I'd even go as far as trying Sagittaria subulata and/or Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae in your set-up. They might grow slowly, but I think they'd have a good chance at chugging along okay. Just try stuff out. That's the only way you'll know for sure.

-Naomi
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the replies

I have another 5-gallon with an 18-watt PC lamp above it, and the Anacharis is doing ok but all that great. The temp is about 77 degrees so that still may be too warm for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode