Quiet Filter for Nano Tank (3 Gallon) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quiet Filter for Nano Tank (3 Gallon)

Planning to get a planted nano tank started with HC & hairgrass, but I am deciding on what filter to get. Tank is a rimless 3 galoon (12" x 8" x 8"), with flourite black.

What filter would you guys recommend for this tank? I am also planning to put it in my bedroom, so I want the filter as quiet as possible (preferably silent!)

I thought about the sponge filter, but then even the smallest air pump makes way to much noise in my room.
Internal filter (whisper i10, fluval) seems to take up too much space inside such a small tank.
Cannister filter: don't think anyone make cannister filter small enough for a 3 gallon tank.
So I guess I am gonna stick with the good old power HOB filter...but which brand or model would be a good choice for a 3g tank that is extremely quiet?

Btw...I have an aquaclear 30 running in my other tank, and I think the noise level is acceptable, so I am thinking about getting the aquaclear 20 (smallest they have) in the 3g. However, would that filter (100gph) still create too much water flow inside a 3g tank?

Is too much water flow bad for plants?
What do you guys normally use for the small <5 gallon tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM

azoo palm or red sea nano in my opinion
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I had a AC20 on a 3 gallon picotope and it was fine.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco View Post
Cannister filter: don't think anyone make cannister filter small enough for a 3 gallon tank.
Actually they do... search on this board for Zoomed 501, it is being discussed frequently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

I have the internal fluval in my 2.5g nano, and its super quiet (its in my bedroom as well). But i do understand where your coming from though with the size, and taking up "real estate". Maybe check out the elite 3g internal filter. Its about 1/3 of the fluvals size, so it wont take up too much space.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanonoob View Post
azoo palm or red sea nano in my opinion
I've heard from a few other people the red sea nano is quiet noisy compares to most other (higher capacity filter)

fshfanatic: Do you have to limit the flow rate with your aquaclear 20?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
+1 on the ZooMed 501.

If you have to limit flow rate on AC filters, just stuff more media in.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
I've heard from a few other people the red sea nano is quiet noisy compares to most other (higher capacity filter)

fshfanatic: Do you have to limit the flow rate with your aquaclear 20?
Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
+1 on the ZooMed 501.

If you have to limit flow rate on AC filters, just stuff more media in.
Just use the flow control

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN_chic View Post
Maybe check out the elite 3g internal filter. Its about 1/3 of the fluvals size, so it wont take up too much space.
I am actually quite interested in the elite mini internal filter (it is small, internal which probably means less noise), but I can't seem to find much information or review anywhere on the internet.

As for the ZooMed 501, it is rated for 30gallons, wouldn't it be too much for a 3 gallon tank?

Btw, plan to have the tank very lightly stocked. Maybe 10 RCS or a few nano fish only. So I think I don't need much filtration.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
+1 on ZooMED 501. The flow is perfect for a sub 10gal tank. Might want to look into the Tom's mini rapids filter as well.

With the tank being so small, I doubt that you'd want an internal filter taking up so much space.

-Charlie

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I have a Toms and love it, it is in my office at a dealership and I cant hear a thing.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I am actually quite interested in the elite mini internal filter (it is small, internal which probably means less noise), but I can't seem to find much information or review anywhere on the internet.
I know they arent the best quality out there, but if your stockinf list is low, I think it'd be perfect. I have the smallest fluval in my 2.5 and it takes up too much space, so I think im going to make my own nano canister one of these days lol :P
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
As for the ZooMed 501, it is rated for 30gallons, wouldn't it be too much for a 3 gallon tank?
Ratings are a joke... even using it on a 10gal tank is pushing it, no way if it is moderately planted.

Nice thing about using that on a small tank is the minimal visual impact, you can hide it away and only the filter hoses are visible. Same goes for the AquaClear. Internal filter will be visible and having to pull it out for cleaning all the time is another drawback.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
h4n
Banned

PTrader: (713/100%)
Ya i use the Zoomed 501 on my 5gal and it definitely doesnt flow alot. I think it would be perfect for the 3g, if it flow alot to much add more media in it.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
Ya i use the Zoomed 501 on my 5gal and it definitely doesnt flow alot. I think it would be perfect for the 3g, if it flow alot to much add more media in it.
agreed, i find it actually to be barely adequate for a planted 5.5 gallon

i wish there was something in-between a zoomed 501 and the next available canister filters (things like the xp1 or eheim 2213)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode