Sick and tired of this hair algae in my 5.5gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sick and tired of this hair algae in my 5.5gal

Hey guys.
I have a 5.5 gallon BETTA tank and I have been battling some really annoying hair algae.
I can not seem to get any small creature that will eat hair algae but shrimp(Cant put shrimp in tank cuz betta mite attack it thats what happened to my Red Cherry Shrimp).
I run co2, I am not dosing iron rite now cuz I heard that promotes hair algae, and I decreased the amount of time the light is on.
Can someone please help me?!
Do you think I could get some amano shrimp or will they be attacked?
Do you guys have any methods or creatures that my betta won't attack?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
There is no guarantee that shrimp, snails, or fish will eat your algae.

You need to find the right balance of light, CO2, and ferts for your tank.

Are you using pressurized CO2 or DIY? DIY CO2 is not very stable. Fluctuating CO2 levels can lead to algae.

You can try this https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=one+two+punch to help get the algae under control.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabruce View Post
There is no guarantee that shrimp, snails, or fish will eat your algae.

You need to find the right balance of light, CO2, and ferts for your tank.

Are you using pressurized CO2 or DIY? DIY CO2 is not very stable. Fluctuating CO2 levels can lead to algae.

You can try this https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=one+two+punch to help get the algae under control.
He's right. Hair algae is also a big indicator of too much light. I'd cut back your photoperiod even more to see if helps. Spot treat the existing stuff with excel or h202. How long are the lights on and what kind are they?

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A picture of the tank would help, but you need to state exactly what the light is.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
As they said, cut your photoperiod.

Also try adding a bunch of floating plants as shade, and to compete will algea.

You may want to dump a bunch of hornwort/elodea in there too.... you can just float it.

Plants release chemicals that fight algae, the more plants the less likely you are to have algae problems.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have very minimal experience with hair algae but I'll add in my $.02. I have a low light tank with low light plants. So not much need for ferts. Well I tried adding in some trace ferts and regardless of the quantity I add the next day there are a few wisps of hair algae blowing in the current. About a day later it clears up. So my anecdotal advice is reduce ferts if you are using them.

I use flourish excel each day and that iron doesn't seem to have any affect either which way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode