Fluval Spec 3 Betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec 3 Betta tank

Hello all,

I recently got back into the hobby and started a few planted tanks. I had a Fluval Edge, but that was a pain as far as lighting and working in so I got rid of that and got a 10 gallon and a Fluval Spec.

I picked up the spec at a LFS for $40. It was missing a light, water pump, and all the plumbing for it. I was ok with that because my original intent was to start a nano reef and was going to replace the light and pump anyhow. I got Mini Jet 606 cheap, and ordered the hose and nozzle from Fluval. When I ordered the picture showed the hose, elbow and nozzle for 3 bucks, it arrived and it was just the elbow! Emailed Fluval customer service and they sent me the entire assembly (a $20 value) for free! I had picked up a Fluval nano aqualife plant LED for $49 on Amazon a few months back for my Edge and mounted it on the Spec. I found a Fluval 50W heater on sale for $16. I stumbled upon an Intank Media basket for 30 bucks so I picked that up as well. I have lucked out on getting all this stuff fairly cheap!

Equipment:
Fluval Spec III
MiniJet 606
Fluval nano Aqualife LED
Fluval 50W heater
Intank Media basket

Petco Sand
API laterite
Driftwood
Java Moss
Amazon Swords
Micro Swords

I currently have a few questions.

I have cut holes in the outlet tube to slow the flow down for the Betta. The first set of holes didn't seem like enough, and he hid most of the time, I assumed to avoid the current. I cut a few more holes and I think it is too slow to actually filter any water. Debris will stay suspended for quite a while, and the substrate is getting dirty. How much current can the Betta tolerate?

Second question, is this light too intense for what I have? I leave the light on about 9 hrs a day and I recently had some algae issues start. Should I just scale back to 5-6 hours a day? I am dosing Excel lightly and plan on adding CO2 as soon as I get all of my fittings in.

Anyhow, here are some pictures of my setup, still work like to add an Anacharis to the back right corner and plant a few more micro swords in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	286778  

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	286786  

Name:	IMG_1494.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	286794  

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	286802  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Algae Grower

I have a betta in a spec 2. I just removed the nozzle(so only the elbow) and he is just fine. In fact, he purposely "plays" in the current, but can get out when he wants. I had planned to put holes in the tube, but so far, it hasn't been needed.

EDIT -- I guess the minijet is a good bit more powerful, though.

Last edited by Lowcountry; 03-09-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: minijet
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Look like your off the a good start! You were lucky to get all that stuff for cheap!!!
Good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FISHY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
all igotta say is NICE BETA!! (:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode