Wet thumb born yesterday... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wet thumb born yesterday...

Hi all. I joined the forum a week ago and have been reading this forum since. I've been keeping African Cichlids (Tropheus) for a while now and have been intrigued on how much of an art a planted tank can turn out to be. Honestly, I never thought I'd be joining in the fun and always thought it was easy... Boy, was I wrong. Enough of the jibber-jabber and let me get straight to the point. Here is my first planted tank created about 2 days ago and added the last piece yesterday when I installed a CO2 system.

Tank: 2.5 gal rimless glass
Substrate: Flourite
Stone: I think they labeled it, "Petrified Wood" at the LFS
Filtration: Red Sea Nano Filter
Plants: HC and Dwarf Hairgrass
CO2: 5lbs Brushed Aluminum, JBJ Regulator, Solenoid, Bubble Counter, and Diffuser at 1 bubble per second
Lighting: JEBO 13 watt 6500k
Ph: 6.0
Temperature: 78F
Additives: 1ml Flourite Excel

Livestock: 4 Rummynose Tetra

Wow, never really expected the water to be that cloudy using Flourite. I know I rinsed that thing a billion times. Learned about and saw examples of Iwagumi style and attempted to apply the same concept on my layout.
The Rummynose were free from a friend and realized that they look crowded in there.

Questions:
1) I'm planning to get some Cardinals in exchange for the Rummynose but don't know how many I should get for my size tank.
2) Should I get shrimp? If so, how many?...
3) Can I get both Cardinals and Shrimp? (amano, cherry red, or bumble bee.) If so how many?

Question about my equipment:
1) Are the bubble from my diffuser supposed to escape from the whole surface area of the ceramic? Currently, bubbles are only fizzing from one part of the ceramic circle.

2) The Bubble Counter is 1 bubble per second at the regulator, but when I count the bubbles that travel in the tube (before they hit the air pocket near the ceramic circle) I count less than 1 bubble per second. Should I adjust it so it's 1 bubble per second at that point?

I'm open to questions, concerns, and feedback. Thanks for you support.

Mike

Last edited by ganotisim; 01-12-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Planted Member

nice start, that looks like petrified wood to me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Very nice good choice on the plants and rock. Three shrimp will be OK but don't get cardinals B/c they need at least a 10gal tank. Try 5 micro rasboras or galaxy rasboras (celestial pearl danio) and 3 shrimp. they are small and low bio-load maybe an oto if you don't want shrimp. the jbj reg. can be tricky to adjust try 1 bubble per 2 sec near the diffuser, but monitor carefully for the first hour. BTW if you go with rasboras try hikari micro pellets to feed them to avoid wasted decaying food in the tank.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Not too familiar with stone classification. I wouldn't mind using this stone for my Tropheus. In fact, I wish I did.

Marimoball: Thanks, but because I'm new, I got a feel for what everyone was using in their tanks. Yes, I jumped on the bandwagon but I wanted to do something rather quick so I can order and set the tank up as soon as possible. I'll see if the LFS carries some galaxy rasboras (celestial pearl danios). Is that a common stock at LFS? How bout micro rasboras, are they common as well?

If I understood you correctly, I would adjust to 1 bubble per 2 sec before it hits the air pocket (after the "J" part of the diffuser?) Thanks for the quick reply/feedback.

I just searched for pics of the galaxy rasboras....very nice. I think I've made up my mind already. Hope the LFS even gets a shipment of those.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good looking tank.

There's a nano-fish list here as a sticky.

Most fish on that list will work, however, some require "bigger" nano tanks.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...st-v1-0-a.html

Other than that, tank looks great.

Rummynose tetras require a lot of swimming space and grow up to 2-2.5". Minimum of about 30" horizontal swimming space would be great.

www.plantinverts.com has good information on types of shrimp and care for them.

Red cherry shrimp, amano and bee shrimp will not interbreed. Not sure how many you can keep, but they are quite small and do not produce a lot of waste.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
Good looking tank.

There's a nano-fish list here as a sticky.

Most fish on that list will work, however, some require "bigger" nano tanks.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...st-v1-0-a.html

Other than that, tank looks great.

Rummynose tetras require a lot of swimming space and grow up to 2-2.5". Minimum of about 30" horizontal swimming space would be great.

www.plantinverts.com has good information on types of shrimp and care for them.

Red cherry shrimp, amano and bee shrimp will not interbreed. Not sure how many you can keep, but they are quite small and do not produce a lot of waste.
Thanks dexstr, I think the red cherry shrimp will compliment the galaxy very nicely. Dropped by the LFS today and did not find any of the galaxy rasboras. I might have to check around other venues tomorrow.

Does the RCS get as big as Amanos? Saw some Amanos today and didn't expect them to be as big. They were about an 1".

I like your 2.5 as well, dextr.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode