Root tabs in a 2 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Root tabs in a 2 gallon?

Does anyone with a small nano use root tabs? I'm going to rearrange my Spec 2 this weekend. There are several individual jungle val plants that have been growing very slowly. I'd like to replant them along the back of the tank and stick a root tab in their general area, but I'm wondering if a 2 gallon tank is too small a tank to use a flourish tab especially if this tank houses inverts. If one root tab is considered overkill, then can I get away with cutting the tab in half or in fourths? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I used Miracle Grow soil capped with gravel and my Vals are doing well. Try using 1/2 a tab and see how that goes. If you don't see any growth, add the 2nd half.

BTW, I had close to zero growth in over 6 months with my Vals. I covered the surface of my 1.75g vase with floaters and 2 of the val leaves grew between 6-8" in a few short weeks.

The one stem on the front right is draping over from a plant in the back. It should touch the substrate by next week lol

Last edited by AGUILAR3; 06-26-2014 at 09:15 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
I used Miracle Grow soil capped with gravel and my Vals are doing well. Try using 1/2 a tab and see how that goes. If you don't see any growth, add the 2nd half.

BTW, I had close to zero growth in over 6 months with my Vals. I covered the surface of my 1.75g vase with floaters and 2 of the val leaves grew between 6-8" in a few short weeks.

The one stem on the front right is draping over from a plant in the back. It should touch the substrate by next week lol
It makes sense that root tabs should work if dirt works. I'll try it out and see how it goes. I'm wondering why your vals started taking off once you added the floaters. Too much light possibly? I shouldn't have that problem since I'm using the stock led light on my Spec 2. I actually want to reduce the amount of floaters on this tank and allow more light to get through to the submerged plants.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, just give the tabs a try.

I originally had a 13wcfl 6" above rim then I switched to a 10w and raised the light to 8" above water line and added floaters. Maybe it was the light.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use API Root Tabs in all my tanks including my 1-2g nano's

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^ Sweet. I'm definitely going to try them out in my nano.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I put API root tabs in my Spec II and have seen no ill effects on my shrimp.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
You can use root tabs in any planted tank no matter the size, whether it's a 0.9 gallon pico tank or a 500 gallon monster planted tank. As for API, the only thing I trust to API would be their liquid test kits, and that's it. Because I just think their stuff for a planted tank like API Leaf Zone for instance contains nothing more then Potassium and Iron, so I figure their root tabs can't be any better than the leaf zone.

I prefer to go with Osmocote Plus for my root tabs...

45g Long - High Light Planted Tank / 30g - Plant Grow Out Tank / 100g Tank - currently resealing
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I use Osmocote+ tabs in my 4" cube. Well I used to, but then my DHG ended up matting too thick to add them without ripping it up...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use two Osmocote+ tabs in my Spec. Plants seem happy. Fish is happy. Snails are happy. I pulled my shrimp for other reasons so can't speak to that, but they were fine for a couple months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I cut up a flourish tab this morning into pieces and will stick them in my nano once I do the rescape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode