Ideas for a 4 gallon vase shrimp tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideas for a 4 gallon vase shrimp tank?

Hi Guys!

I have a 4ish gallon vase that's just taking up space and I want to turn it into a shrimp tank.

I found a really nice piece of driftwood:

The vase is not really big, about 10 inches diameter, 13 in tall.

I'm thinking about making it an island configuration with large river pebbles around the edges and a sort of valley in the middle with planted substrate, maybe attach some plants to the top of the driftwood and have them grow emersed.

Suggestions on plants I should use?

For lighting I'm using a Marineland double bright that I ended up not using in another tank. Substrate wise I'll use some aqua flora I bought but just in the middle part in a sort of hole/valley outside I'll just leave pebbles to avoid plant growth. Not a huge fan of sand.

I'll use a 10G rated internal filter creating a circular flow. Not sure if it would be better to do a dry start or just dose high CO2 during the first few weeks to jumpstart growth (it will not have permanent CO2, it's going to be fairly low-tech).

What do you think guys? Any suggestions on plants I should use? As anyone used rotala on a dry start method?

What would you put on top of the driftwood emersed? do you know any plant that looks good emersed with nice flowers?

Thanks for reading! looking forward to your suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I say go for it... IMO use
5-7watts 6500k led light
Substrate fert tabs only or dry ferts under substrate
small grain substrate or sand of anykind
Plants planted on each side of the wood, but leave a small space in the front open.
Drop in a small sponge filter or just air tube for water flow
Change 5% of water twice weekly, small water changes often are better then larger ones less often.
Add shrimps and call it a day

I say this based on my own experance with a few vases ive had, incl my current 7x7x8" shrimp vase...

Post photos often..
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

Boxboy said it all. Go for it! That drift wood is just about perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
*grabby hands* I want that vase!! where did you get it?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wholesale flower market in nyc. About 30 bucks, it was a vase for an orchid I got as a gift but it didn't like it. So, now it's a tank.

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, I'm kinda settling down on this hardscape. Decided on the pebbles substrate since the driftwood is heavy and I need something to hold it in place. Not my ideal but don't really want to put epoxy on the tank. Will add some aqua flora substrate on top of this and plant some crypts and perhaps some rotala. Above the water line I'll add a paludarium type plant to scrub the water. Not sure if penny wort, money wort or maybe some sort of lily.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Just to verify: this wood has been previously scrubbed/rinsed/boiled or otherwise cleaned to ensure no nasties are left in it from when it was out in the wild?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
I always thought it would be really cool to attach an orchid to emmersed driftwood. You could just spray the roots with water a couple times a day and it would grow well because the tank would cause humidity around the plant.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Algae Grower

This is going to make a great display!
You may run into the issue of detritus buildup using large river rocks as the only substrate; I would recommend adding something smaller underneath it.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Algae Grower

Was just going to say that ^ looks awesome.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good so far. It will look nice once planted and that piece of wood is really nice
Good luck...

FISHY
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't like the pebble look to be honest. What lighting are you going to use? I'm struggling to find a lamp that doesn't look like an erector set.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great... if you dont wanna use the large stones. you can use Hot Glue Gun to keep the driftwood from floating and its still easy enough to remove if needed.

search ebay for MR16 leds or GU10 leds.. 1pcs 4 watt 6500k will give you enough light. unless you plan to use CFL.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Just to verify: this wood has been previously scrubbed/rinsed/boiled or otherwise cleaned to ensure no nasties are left in it from when it was out in the wild?
Not yet, this is a mockup, the tank hasn't been flooded yet.

I'll boil the wood to sterilize and get as much of the tannins out as possible. then cure for a couple of weeks in a bucket of water.

The wood is malaysian mangrove from a very good LFS, it's supposed to be cured already but I'm not taking chances.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBA View Post
This is going to make a great display!
You may run into the issue of detritus buildup using large river rocks as the only substrate; I would recommend adding something smaller underneath it.
The pebbles are for weighting down the driftwood as it's not very stable by itself. I'll probably add aqua flora substrate on top.

Tags
island, shrimp tank, vase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode