Ideas for a 4 gallon vase shrimp tank? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
I don't like the pebble look to be honest. What lighting are you going to use? I'm struggling to find a lamp that doesn't look like an erector set.
Going to cover the pebbles with plant friendly substrate. I'll hang an 18 in Marineland double bright that I bought for other tank and ended up not using. It's getting enough light as it is since it's on a very bright room with huge windows. I'll have to add frogbit as a nutrient sink to keep algae in check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMM View Post
I always thought it would be really cool to attach an orchid to emmersed driftwood. You could just spray the roots with water a couple times a day and it would grow well because the tank would cause humidity around the plant.
Been thinking about it but I'll stick to something faster growing that can act as a water scrubber. I'm sifting through the paludarium builds to see what could look good hanging in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank has been flooded!

The winners for stocking were Rotala Rotundifolia and Brazilian Pennyworth. Was looking for some wisteria but couldn't find anything.

I'm tempted to stick a ball of moss or smoething like that to the protruding dirftwood and turn it into a wabi-kusa top.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
what is that tiny thing plugged in to the tank?? a tiny filter of some sort??

-Jacklyn
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
what is that tiny thing plugged in to the tank?? a tiny filter of some sort??
Aqueon 10-Gallon QuietFlow Internal Filter Mini with the bio-media canister removed.

Had to make some modifications to make it quieter. Added some hairnet to the inlets to make it shrimp safe as I plan on adding Amanos and RCS. Removed the bio media cartridge as the cartridge was being too loud banging against itself. The tank will have very low bioload so I think I can get away with only the pump part.

Is essentially a small, quiet, cheap Powerhead that creates a gentle flow.

Last edited by themaninthesuit; 03-14-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typos
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Looking sweet.
I would watch the driftwood where it breaks the surface as that is the usual are for rot and algae.

Perfect timely thread for me as I expect to get a 12" x 12" cylinder today (all the way from NYC flower district). Wish me luck.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Looking sweet.
I would watch the driftwood where it breaks the surface as that is the usual are for rot and algae.

Perfect timely thread for me as I expect to get a 12" x 12" cylinder today (all the way from NYC flower district). Wish me luck.

v3
Sweet, let me know if I can help with anything hehe.

I'm thinking of spreading a bit of moss on the driftwood that's outside, I've heard that some mosses have anti-fungal properties and it would look really nice.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The permanent lighting has been hanged from the ceiling.

it's just an old marineland double bright I had lying around. I left space to plant some sort of emersed fern on top of the driftwood.

At this height it will not provide much light to the plants but it's ok since I don't plan to add CO2 nor much fertilizers and both the rotala and pennywort are fairly low light plants. The tank is also close to a window, that should supplement the lighting nicely as days grow longer.

Air exposed driftwood developing minor mold. Cleaned with Q-tip and added a few strands of living moss that I hope will outcompete the mold for space, also dropped a few cuttings from dwarf baby tears which stuck to the crevasses of the wood but I don't think it will do very good with this lighting.

Current inhabitants: Single male fire guppy, a couple of amanos and two nerite snails. I'm worried about the guppy picking on the shrimp, depending on how it goes I'll add more amanos or not.

Last edited by themaninthesuit; 03-19-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added details
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added an emersed plant, not sure the species.

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Coming along nicely.
You might want to try Ricca on the surface around the wood, it likes to be half in, half out of the water. When the water level comes down a bit, try applying some Excel to the wood with a Q-tip - helps to keep that area clean.

I did get my vase, but, because of yours, went in a different direction - can't compete with your driftwood .

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Coming along nicely.
You might want to try Ricca on the surface around the wood, it likes to be half in, half out of the water. When the water level comes down a bit, try applying some Excel to the wood with a Q-tip - helps to keep that area clean.

I did get my vase, but, because of yours, went in a different direction - can't compete with your driftwood .

v3
Hahahaha, I'm flattered that you like the driftwood. Thanks for the excel tip! I'll try it later. The riccia will look nice in there I think, I'll try it too!

Looking forward to see your vase!

Last edited by themaninthesuit; 03-26-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: meh
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

Love the setup!!

15G (13Wx13Dx20H) Plants, Shrimps, and Neon Tetra's.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Algae Grower

This is beautiful! I'm impressed

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, the rotala I got was all in emersed form. It started branching out new sprouts of the immersed leaves and over the last week all the old growth died off (sending a bit of ammonia into the tank, but nothing that can't be handled). I've rearranged all the new immersed growth and cleaned the melted Rotala.

The pennyworth seems to be doing fine and breaking the surface. The emersed plant in the top is sprouting new roots and growing new leaves.

All is well in the front.

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

how did you attach the emersed plant to the wood? and lovely looking vase btw. im about to start my own, going to buy some wood this week

Tags
island, shrimp tank, vase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode