how to up the wattage on a eclipse system 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
how to up the wattage on a eclipse system 3

is there any way to increase the wattage on a eclipse system 3 without tossing the hood? I believe the stock bulb is about 8 watts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yes, use an AH Supply retrofit kit.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
AH supply no longer has 13w bright kits, so aside from cramming 36w over a 3g, this isn't the route to go. If you can source the parts for a 13w kit: ballast, GX23 sockets, 13w bulbs, go for it, otherwise you may have to go buy a commercial fixture, gut it and then retro the hood. You could pull out the light, screw in a socket for a regular screw in bulb and use a screw in compact fluorescent light, but other than ditching the hood, there aren't a whole lot of options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
thanks for the advice. yea, i dont think there really is much to do other than ditching the hood. bah humbug.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

yeah, I've got a 6g eclipse that I retro-ed out w/ 2x 13w kits about a year and a half-two years ago. Kinda a PITA to cram it all in there. Back of the tank still doesn't get too much light either due to the in tank filter. Should do better once I pull it out and switch to canister soon.

You could always get a small light like the 2x 13w that are being sold on ebay and a) gut and retro the hood, b) go open top and look online for they way legs are mounted onto a coralife mini, same technique should work. My vote is for option b).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why the hell did AH Supply stop selling the 13 watt kits? That changes my opinion of that company, sadly...

[/very confused]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
not enough interest in the kits.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
if they cant make money whten why sell them? you cant blame them!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I replaced my Eclipse 3 hood with the 27 watt desk light from Home Depot. I couldn't find a way to upgrade the hood, so now it's open top with the desk lamp, looks great

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfishguy View Post
if they cant make money whten why sell them? you cant blame them!
Well, something tells me that there must be PLENTY of interest in them-- based on the fact that threads such as this one exist, coupled with the fact that if you hang around these planted tank forums often enough, you see that PLENTY of people out there already have them... so I'm still not sure why they just completely shut out their "nano-market." Plus, wouldn't they make enough business on the larger kits to justify the keeping around of the smaller kits? I've been running my own businesses (off and on) for about 12 years now, and I always try to keep the smaller segments of my marketbase happy as long as the larger segments are paying my bills.

But then again, I think I'm the last business owner in existence with these kinds of ethics. In dollar signs we trust, I guess.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Go to HD and just look for their 13W ballasts and DIY your own. They're the same ballasts that HL offered (I asked ).

Eric

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

^ Well thank you! That's very helpful, because I was just getting around to upgrading the light on my 5 gallon bowfront. Thanks again!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

The only trouble is finding the GX23 sockets. None of the hardware stores I've been to carry something like that and it seems the only place I can find them is online, and often the site will want to you to buy in bulk, ie 10pcs min, which I don't need. I have some ballasts sitting around from an industrial equipment surplus warehouse that I still haven't got around to using, partially b/c it's not too urgent a need to get them hooked up, and the other part is it being hard to source out somewhere to buy the socket.

I'm thinking that if I'm in a sudden need for them I'll just directly connect the wire to the pin on the bulb and secure it tightly with heat shrink tubing, much the way its done in el cheapo light fixtures but I'd much rather the socket

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've soldered directly to the pins on bulbs before. It works ok, but it's definitely not the best method. If you aren't fast, you'll melt the plastic that holds the pin. I think an alligator clip with a rubber sleeve would work pretty well.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
you may want to cover the center 2 tubes of the quad bulb with aluminum foil (i have that lamp over a 2.5 gal and its still insanely high light)

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode