Old School Metal Rim - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Old School Metal Rim

I've had this metal rimmed tank sitting around forever and I don't know how old it was when I bought it used. Its 13"x7.5"x9" which I think is roughly 4 gallons.

I'm thinking about making it into a planted tank for at my work office. The hood has a standard socket built in and it says its rated for 40 watts. The reflector could be pretty good with some polish.

Any suggestions on lighting and a filter that would work well for this tank? I'd prefer an external filter to maximize the space. Lower to medium light plants are fine.

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You sure that wasn't meant to keep rotisserie chicken warm?

I have never seen a tank with the metal edges like that. Do you remember where you got it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
lol danakin...set it & forget it.

Actually I used to have quite a few similarly built tanks when i was younger. Alot of them even had slate bottoms.
The reflector may work fairly well with a screw in CF or spiral CF bulb. You could add another socket to the other end as well.(I'd replace the old socket as well myself)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think it has a cool retro look to it. I am very interested in seeing how this thing looks after a good polishing. I'll bet it would look awesome after you hit it with a dremmel tool and some metal polish. The only thing that would suck is if it didn't hold the shine on the inside of the reflector.

Good luck with the tank and keep us posted. I am interested to see how this one comes out.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Planted Member

this tank is awesome looking, just add another standard light socket and two screw in fluorescent bulbs. and a tom rapids mini canister

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Whoa, that brought back some memories! Looks exactly like the tank my father and I set up when I was a kid in the early 70's. Same hood too- I even remember the steel logo sticker on it. I wonder if that's still around in an attic or basement somewhere. Maybe it's time to start a retro forum. Break out those bubbling pirate's chests!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Old School yo!
That thing looks heavy!I remember tanks like these in the 70's

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Very cool. I have access to a slate bottom/metal rim in my mother in law's backyard, I keep debating whether to polish it up or not. It's extra retro because the inside edge of the corner covers on either side have a bit of an angle to them instead of straight up, kind of like this \ __ /

I've never seen a metal hood before, too cool.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
the inside edge of the corner covers on either side have a bit of an angle to them instead of straight up, kind of like this \ __ /

I've never seen a metal hood before.
that style is called Metaframe
a matching hood is harder to
find than the tanks themselves.

remember, don't reseal them with silicon.
just use a blow dryer to melt the tar from
the inside and allow it to reseal naturally.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...amed-tank.html

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think those tanks look awesome, wish they came in huge sizes.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
the more water pressure to hold in, the wider the frame.
it's just a novelty. I'd much rather have a seamless tank.
these frames are unusual, but they block a lot of views.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
the more water pressure to hold in, the wider the frame.
it's just a novelty. I'd much rather have a seamless tank.
these frames are unusual, but they block a lot of views.
Yeah i agree the metal frames do nothing but distract the eye from the main focal point, the planted tank.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
To each there own. Some people like the looks of them and others dont. All I can say is go with what you like your the one looking at it all the time.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Pretty sweet tank. An aquarist "throw back". Looks like a picture frame for the tank. As far as the "blocked views", just take them into consiferation during layout. Keep the pics coming

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

The tom rapids canister seems like a good choice.

I will try heating the tar to reseal the problem areas. Thanks for posting, I would have never thought of that! I might add some silicone to the inside just as a safeguard.

I borrowed a 15w spiral CF from around the house. Its pretty bright with just one, two would fit and be plenty of light.

The only problem I see is diameter. The bulb hits the top metal, which I don't think is a problem? The bigger issue is the bulb sticks down "beneath" the hood about 1/4" and would be VERY close to the water surface if the tank was filled to the edge of the metal rim. I estimate about 3/8" from the bulb to the waters surface and there is no barrier.

I'm going to shop around tommorow and see what is availalbe in straight tubes instead of these spiral ones. Anybody got a good lead on a good straight bulb, like walmart etc?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode