B. Maculata - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
B. Maculata

I picked up some B. Maculata for $1.99 each, and have them housed in my plant grow-out tank that i've added some blackwater expert too. It is not a "planted" tank, but its my plant growing tank, basically an aquatic green house. I know these guys stay really really small, and they school nice and tight so far, but I was wondering if I could put them in 5.5gl.
I consider these to be "nano'' fish, but they are such active schoolers.
Any suggestions or anyone have experience with them?
Also, I find that their mouths are so small, that the only foods they can eat is my fry flakes, Sera Mikropan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Well I tried to research B. Maculata but didn't come up with anything other than Boulengerella maculata which is "Spotted Pike Characin". I'm assuming thats not what you meant being that they grow to 12 inches. Are you sure that's the right name?

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've been obsessing over this fish for quite a while. It was in store, but quite expensive. Plus since it was so fragile I decided not to get them.

I found the most useful information on mongabay.com in the rasbora fish species section: http://fish.mongabay.com/rasboras.htm

Dwarf Rasbora, Pygmy Rasbora, Spotted Rasbora [ Pictures ]
Rasbora maculata
SYN : None, although this species mistaken for a juvenile R. kalochroma .
PD : Among the smallest of aquarium species, the Dwarf Rasbora is an elongated fish. Theback is brownish red, while the body is bright brick red. The belly is yellowish-silver and there are variousblack spots on the body.These usually do not number more than five. The dorsal and anal fins are black andthe other fins have red at their bases.
SIZE : To 1" (2.5 cm) max.
SS : Clown Rasbora ( R. kalochroma ) is similar in coloration, althoughmuch larger.The Ocellated Dwarf Rasbora ( R. urophthalma ) at 1.5" (4 cm) is only slightlylarger.
HAB : Along overgrown riverbanks of still to slow-moving flood plain rivers and swamps. SoutheastAsia; Borneo, Malay Peninsula, Singapore , Sumatra.
S : middle
TANK : A tank measuring 16" (41 cm) with a capacity of 5 gallons (19 L) works well. Thetank should be heavily planted including a cover of floating plants to diffuse the lighting. The substrate should be dark gravel.
WATER : pH 5-6.8 (6.2), dH 0-8 dH (3), 75-81F (24-27C)
SB : A peaceful schooling fish recommended for community tank having other small species.
SC : Rasboras, Coolie Loaches, Corydoras, Loricarids, Apistogramma , tetras, hatchetfish, Colisa.
FOOD : Tiny live; insect larvae , Drosophila , other small insects, Artemia ;fine grade flakes.
SEX : Females are plumper and less colorful.
B : This species can be bred in even a 3 gallon fish tank. Use thickets of small, fine-leafed plantsand coarse gravel or marbles as a substrate.The water should be peat-filtered with a pH from 5.7-6.2, a water hardnessfrom 0-3 dH, and a water temperaturefrom 81-84F (27-29C). Condition the pair separately for oneto two weeks prior to the spawning.Only 40-50 eggs are laid among plants. The parents should be removed beforethey can consume their own eggs.The eggs hatch after 24-36 hours and the fry are free-swimming three to four days later. Startfeeding with Infusoria and liquid foods.The fry are very small and difficult see. Often, in a well-planted, sparsely populatedtank, some fry will survive to maturity.
BP : 6.Spawning comes easily under the right conditions.
R : This species in sensitive to water changes, medications, and water pollutants. Itwas first imported into Europe in 1905.
DC : 4.This somewhat sensitive species is an excellent fish for a small species or community tank.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
dekstr,

Thats a cool page on rasboras. If that is indeed what he got, it sound like he got some cool little fish.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I started looking around on that site and found this under the plant section:

Fertilization

Because macro nutrients are usually available naturally in tanks, an all-around plant fertilizer cannot be recommended for aquarium plants. Instead use preparations of "trace elements" which are specially prepared for aquatic plants and are widely available in pet stores. Never overdose with a fertilizer because plants and fish can be damaged. Do not purchase a fertilizer than includes phosphate or nitrate, because horrible algae problems may arise. Fertilizers are commonly available in liquid and pelleted forms.

I hope he/she knows more about fish then they do plants.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah the guy knows more about fish than plants.

I found the plant section not as useful as the fish.

The fish section is hard to beat in terms of comprehensiveness. It should be quite accurate. It's always good to cross-check with other sources though--for all sources anywhere.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (36/97%)
Send a message via AIM to screename
I had about 13 once. All jumped out of my open top tank except for one. I loved them to death but they just kept jumping out!!! I would only buy them again with a closed top tank.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, it is a closed top tank, with frogbit and water-sprite floating on the top. They are a really really fragile fish, as I've lost three already. They are beautiful little fish, but my god, smallest mouths ever. Its actually annoying.
I will be eventually putting them in a 5.5gl that I am hoping to make look like George Farmers nano from pracitcalfishkeeping.

Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
Yeah, it is a closed top tank, with frogbit and water-sprite floating on the top. They are a really really fragile fish, as I've lost three already. They are beautiful little fish, but my god, smallest mouths ever. Its actually annoying.
I will be eventually putting them in a 5.5gl that I am hoping to make look like George Farmers nano from pracitcalfishkeeping.
You never mentioned how many you purchased. I am interested in these guys, but I want to follow your progress before I take a leap.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I purchased 10 total, at $1.99 each (a bargain of a price). I asked the fish room lady how long they had been in for already, and she said three weeks, so I'm sure they were past that fragile shippin stage. I acclimated them into my plant grow-out tank. I add Kent Blackwater, along with Co2 and other ferts and addititves as it really is a plant tank, but being Rasboras and all, I thought that the conditions would be fine (slow, somewhat more on the neutral to acid side, right temp, etc). But I'm glad I put them in that tank as a slight quarantine as a few have come down with Ich. I'm treating with Super IchPlus and higher temps with the addition of an airstone (I know, loss of Co2, but with the higher temp I wanted Oxygen in there). From the original 10 I am down to 7. Hoping things get better and I'm going to keep them quarantined in there with meds and water changes untill things clear up (probs about two weeks). I am actually hoping to get them into a planted nano similar to George Farmers from Practicalfishkeeping. Goolge that if you want and you'll be just amazed at this little Amano-esque tank he has set up.

Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode