new 4 gallon nano scape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
new 4 gallon nano scape

Hello I just set up a new 4 gallon nano tank. Let me know what you think. Tom Barr gave me this real nice branching piece of wood when i went to visit him at his house about a week ago. So all i did was add some petite nana for the hard scape and planted glossostigma for the foreground and this is what I got.

Lighitng-3 halogen lights (w/ a fan over the tank to cool it (not in pic))
Substrate-seachem flora grow (w/ ADA clear super & Tourmaline BC
plants- GLossostigma, Ludwiwgia sp. Guinea, mini pellia (riccardia chamedryfolia), Rotala indica, Rotala Gioas, Anubias nana Petite, Cryptocoryne wendtii green gecko
Ferts- pps classic- one drop SS, one drop PF, One drop TE (csm+B)

the tank is only one day old so i cant wait to see it grow out any comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking

Last edited by jazzlvr123; 12-21-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
itīs a nice tank,i only suggest to change the lights for a fluorescent bulb, i use those saving white light bulbs 15 watts and 6400k, i tell you this because istarted whit halogen light and have a lot of algae, so i change and the problems gone, plus a pair of ottos have a grat day and merry xmas
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well Tom Barr told me Halogen lights were okay for this setup so that why i went with it and also my Co2 (flourish excel) and fertilization is dosed daily and my photo period is only 5 hours so I don't think Im going to have many algae problems and if I do I know how to tweak my ferts and co2 to get rid of it

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
allright! anubias tree!! andyou put your tanks on piano. this is a great use of space lol. i like your other tank too, can i have some close up photo of it too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very nice!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (35/100%)
looks good !!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not sure if thats glosso from the pics, but i've noticed that its growing vertically more than it is spreading horizontally. You might want to up the lighting, so that they wont have to "reach" up to it.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well keep in mind the tank is only one day old in that pic. I have to wait for it to start developing a root system before i trim it to make it look like the nice thick rooted carpets of glosso your used to seeing
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
That is a nice branchy piece of wood
I love love love petite anubias, I only had two tiny pieces though and lost them both it seems. If yours ever goes too crazy and you want to raok a piece... hehe

Nice job and I like the idea of track lighting for a tank, I never thought of that before, but I would get non halogens. I'm not a fan of those for any reason. hehe

-Cassie S.
No fish or invert tanks right now... just 1 H. azureiventris...
But I'm working on that!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good looking tank! I see some of the same issues I had to deal with on my first planted nano too!

1. Halogen is pretty crappy for plant growth. I was originally going to keep a halogen bulb over my 2.5g. It'll still work just as well as any other lighting since you keep 3 bulbs. But why all the extra heating and wasted energy? It's basically one level up from incandescent, not by that much, so it produces a lot more heat than actual lighting. Twist-in PCs or PC hoods would be probably the most efficient and powerful. But if Tom Barr says it's ok, I guess his advice trumps mine since he's more experienced.

2. The glosso seems to be growing vertically rather than horizontally. There's a few reasons. One is that you planted it vertically like a stem plant. That's what I did initially, and the same thing happened, it started growing upwards instead of horizontally. Just replant horizontally. A second reason could be because of the inadequate lighting. Given insufficient lighting, glosso will grow tall and skinny--not short and thick like the ones you see normally. Another reason is that glosso was grown emersed before you bought. Don't know how that works, but the glosso will change structure.

Edit:

3. It's not that hard to do DIY CO2. A lot cheaper than excel. Even Seachem themselves say:

"Q: Is Flourish Excel a replacement for CO2 in a planted aquarium?
A: Yes and no. It provides the same benefit as CO2, i.e. it provides the plants with a source of carbon for growth just as CO2 provides them with carbon. However CO2 by itself will give you quantitatively more growth than Excel by itself, although Excel does provide a substantial amount in comparison. If CO2 is a 10, Excel is a 6-7. Using both together provides additional benefit. One of the advantages of the Excel is no up front equipment costs and complexity of valves, hoses and regulators, etc."

DIY CO2 + excel is an even better combination.

That's about it, hope I helped. Again, looking forward to progress and nice looking tank!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well this isn't my first glosso carpet all you have to do is trim it and wait for the roots to develop after about a months of trimming and letting the roots grow in then it stays low.

i do agree what you said about Co2 i was thinking of doing diy already you just gave me that extra kick in the ass to get up and do it lolz

Last edited by jazzlvr123; 12-24-2007 at 08:37 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

okay i found a good alternative to halogen lights has anyone ever used the following light setup for a nano? heres the link:
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=419
I think it will work better for my nano and will not waste as much energy
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
I wish I could find a some driftwood like you have that is really good looking. Your tank is looking great by the way.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode