excel vs diy co2 for 2.5g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
excel vs diy co2 for 2.5g

is it necessary to dose both excel and do diy co2 for a 2.5 nano with dwarfhair grass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Excel helps in combination with CO2.

When used alone, it is not as effective as CO2, but nevertheless provides some form of usable carbon for plants--it's not CO2 so it won't gas out.

If you had to choose only one, CO2 would be better. But excel with CO2 is a good choice. CO2 would be the bread, excel would be the butter. You don't have to do excel, but it doesn't hurt.

I grow dwarf hairgrass in my 2.5g with 27w + only CO2, and they're doing really well. But I haven't tried excel (too expensive for me) so I can't really say from personal experience.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
Excel helps in combination with CO2.

When used alone, it is not as effective as CO2, but nevertheless provides some form of usable carbon for plants--it's not CO2 so it won't gas out.

If you had to choose only one, CO2 would be better. But excel with CO2 is a good choice. CO2 would be the bread, excel would be the butter. You don't have to do excel, but it doesn't hurt.

I grow dwarf hairgrass in my 2.5g with 27w + only CO2, and they're doing really well. But I haven't tried excel (too expensive for me) so I can't really say from personal experience.
did your hairgrass go through a phase with algae on it? How do you keep algae out of the tank? I have a 2.5g with 27w +co2 +excel, though get regular green algae on glass and hairgrass. does this eventually end? the tank is fairly new, set up for a few weeks now.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've had it since.... a month and a half ago?

I have some dot / hair algae on the glass that grows slowly consistently, which I can scrape off easily with a credit card once a week.

This was almost two weeks ago before any scraping at all.

I noticed some algae on the hairgrass / glosso, but they're growing all quite fast all the same, nothing significant or out of control.

My cleanup-crew consists of two 1+ cm pond bladder snails that came with the plants by accident. They grew from like 0.5cm to this size really fast. I had more snails of different types before, but overdosed on CO2 with 2x 2l bottles and lots of them died.

They're also some sort of micro-organism on the back glass that's the size of tha sewing needle tip, possible hydra.

I run the lights 8 hours a day.

Edit: I ran it for 5 hours for a few days and went back to 8.

Edit again: Direct answer from Seachem FAQs.

Q: Is Flourish Excel a replacement for CO2 in a planted aquarium?
A: Yes and no. It provides the same benefit as CO2, i.e. it provides the plants with a source of carbon for growth just as CO2 provides them with carbon. However CO2 by itself will give you quantitatively more growth than Excel by itself, although Excel does provide a substantial amount in comparison. If CO2 is a 10, Excel is a 6-7. Using both together provides additional benefit. One of the advantages of the Excel is no up front equipment costs and complexity of valves, hoses and regulators, etc.

Last edited by dekstr; 12-19-2007 at 11:17 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I started out using just Excel for my 2.5g nano, then switched to diy co2. I later started dosing Excel again while continuing with the co2, to combat hair algae in my HC.

After I got rid of the algae (which involved daily work with tweezers for awhile, ugh), I kept doing both Excel and co2 together because the growth and health of the plants was simply incredible. The HC and downoi in particular just seemed to go insane. And there have been absolutely no algae problems since.

The tank has 26 watts of PC lighting on for 8 hours daily, and has been set up for about 7 months. In addition to HC and downoi, it has Mayaca fluviatilis, Ludwigia arcuata, Rotala 'colorata', and Anubias nana 'petite'.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode