Ok, I've made up my mind, now help me design my nano tank :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up Ok, I've made up my mind, now help me design my nano tank :)

After a lot of research and trying to find something that will fit my budget, here is what I have decided on.

Tank: Finnex 4-gallon (includes 13w power compact and power filter)

Substrate: Oiso Sand (it's expensive and hard to find, but I absolutely love it)

Heater: no idea (will take suggestions)

Flora: I'm a big fan of anubias and crypts but would like to think of some tall plants to add as well (taking suggestions here also)

Fauna: Still undecided. I may go with a dwarf puffer or perhaps a group of very small fish (maybe just cherry shrimp)

Carbon source: planning to dose with Flourish Excel. This tank will be setup in my office at work so I don't want to get too complicated.

Now for the questions:

1. What is the best way to cycle the tank? I've never had one this small before.

2. The Oiso Sand will need to be supplemented with something fertile. What should I use? A layer of laterite underneath?

3. How many pounds of the Oiso Sand should I buy? It's expensive so I only want to get what I really need.

4. How should I dose the Flourish Excel? I've never used it on a tank smaller than 10-gallons, so I don't want to overload this little 4-gallon. I'm guessing I should just go with a few drops, correct?

5. Do you guys have any other suggestions on things I might have missed here?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. I am very open to suggestions on this and would love to hear your ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Thats a sweet little tank. I don't know what people's experiences with the following heater are, but you could probably use something like the following:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=12087

I don't know what the footprint of the filter that you are using is, but you might be able to get that heater inside the filter and out of the tank. If you don't like that idea, then you could get away with something a little more bulletproof like:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=12060

As far as cycling the tank goes, I personally would seed the aqarium with water from one of my aquariums from home. I would probably go with 2 gallons from my aquarium and 2 new gallons. I might even seed the filter with some of my media from my other filters, especially the bio media. I would think that this would cut the cycle time down to almost nothing. I plan on upgrading my 29 gal to a 75 and this is the method that I am going to use. In essance, there shouldn't really even be a cycle.

As far as the Oiso sand goes, it says that 2.5 lbs is about 1 quart in volume. If this is true, then that is 1/16 the amount of volume in your tank. If I were going to go this route (without adding anything else), I think I would probably get 5lbs. That would be about 1/8 the volume of the tank, and based on the footprint that would give you roughly 1.25" of substrate.

Excel dosing - I would cut the treatment for a 10 gallon by 2/3 and go with that. If you go with shrimp, you might want to be a little cautious here.

If you are up to trying new things, try this and let us know how it works
http://www.aquabotanicstore.com/CO2_...or_p/10174.htm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome, thank you so much for the suggestions

Do you think I should add something beneath the Oiso Sand for the plants? I'm not aware of any nutritional value for Oiso Sand.

Last edited by jread; 12-17-2007 at 05:13 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump.

I'm revisiting this idea again a full year later. Exact same setup as listed previously
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What sort of heater did you end up with? I have one of the "raises a few degrees" flat Hydor heaters on a Finnex 4G and it's bunk. My apartment temp varies too much.

Let me know if you do go with a dwarf puffer--my betta is aging, and I'm debating the next phase being shrimp only or a pea puffer. Would love to hear how it goes!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi there

I haven't gotten a heater yet (or any of the equipment) as I'm looking at this as a Christmas present from the wife. I have always wanted a planted nano tank at the office so I'm very excited to do this.

I have kept dwarf puffers for many years (and run a website about them), so I know I will definitely enjoy having one at work. I like having a small fish that has so much personality (lots of fish are just dull and boring in the personality department).

What do you think about putting a layer of laterite (or something) under the Oiso sand?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Some sort of substrate with iron would be a good thing--I might try to match the grain size and color of the Oiso sand (1/8" grain, looks like?) so when it gets disturbed it doesn't stick out. Looks like laterite is red. Flourite black?

I use Eco Complete, and I like it except that the grain size is really varied, and some are big (1/2"!)and don't seem to provide much foothold for nano plants.

I just added purple bamboo from gsmitchell at the swap n shop, and waiting on some cardmine lyrata. I'm going to start DIY CO2 here soon as well. I have growth, but it's just sort of...flat with the exception of the java ferns.

Found a heater after much research! I ordered a Hydor Theo--it was that or the 25w Stealth, but the Stealth is longer so I opted for the smaller heater.

Personality matters, even for fishes!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try to find something that matches the Oiso sand better than laterite.

I will also look into Hydor you mentioned.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Oh you run dwarf puffers .com? That place is the [censored][censored][censored][censored]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydud13 View Post
Oh you run dwarf puffers .com? That place is the [censored][censored][censored][censored]
Yes, and thank you
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 PM

im looking to do a indian biotope for dwarf puffers , did you end up doing it and if so could i please se some pictures as it would be much appriciated

thanks

chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode