Oddball nano, help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Oddball nano, help needed

I've procured some pieces of glass and plan on building a nano tank to keep on my desk at work. The tank will be roughly 24"x8"x8" maybe as long as 30" if I've got enough glass. Once built the tank will sit under a single 48" 6500k flourescent tube that is mounted under the bookshelf in my cubicle. Because it will be in my office it has to be low tech and pretty low mantinance, while I could possibly get CO2 from the weld shop, I don't think mantinance would understand the necessity of running a pipe into the office area and I don't really want to deal with stinky bottles of yeast under my desk. Flourish Excel may be an option if absolutely necessary but as with anything else less is more. I plan on using topsoil under fine gravel or large grained sand for substrate, this should give enough ferts that I won't need to dose fertilizer for quite some time right?

The light fixture has a primitive reflector that isn't much more than a sheetmetal box painted white and there's a diffuser over the bulb (which could be removed) With a very shallow tank I'm inclined to think a 40w flourescent tube will be way too much light so the diffuser and inefficent reflector may work to my benefit, will I need to further shade the tank?

What do I need in the way of filtration or circulation? I've got an AC10 powerhead I was thinking I could hook up to a sponge and make a very simple filter, but with the shape of the tank I'm not sure if the powerhead would have enough umph to circulate all the water. The Azoo HOB is on sale at Drs. Foster and Smith for about $6.00 so that's looking like a really good idea as well but again I'm not sure if it would circulate the water efficiently. I've never done a nano tank so I'm not sure what's really needed for circulation and filtration.

What about stocking, I've got a little duckweed that I expect will soon take over my 29g, I could put some of that in the little tank to filter the light a little further. I've got a few java ferns that have some runners that could be seperated and some Rotala Rotundifolia that could be kept in the tank for a nice contrast but I'm not sure if it will need too much pruning in a small tank. I'm not a very experianced aquatic gardener so I'd prefer to keep hardy species. What else should I consider for a small tank.

I think I'll keep a few Endlers or maybe a paradise gourami or some kilifish and some shrimp. I'm on the fence still as to rather I need a heater or not, the office is kept pretty cool year round it's probably 68F year round, so I'm sure Endlers would appreciate a heater but others wouldn't mind a little cooler tank. What is a good heater to use on these tiny tanks? All the heaters I've used would be too big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001
hey Kornphlake,

24x8x8 is a pretty unique dimension. Similar to the "Bookshelf Aquarium" sold at Petco. Your looking at approximately 6.5 gallons Several people have and use that and could chime in.

For Plants, java ferns, both normal and narrow leaf would be good choices. The Dwarf and Petite Anubias as well. Any of the mosses should work well. All these are relatively low maintenance. The stem plants typically grow fast and will require some trimming now and then, but if your not dosing, maybe you could use them without problems. I personally would avoid duckweed as it spreads like crazy and doesn't do much for you. Frogbit would be a better choice IMO.

The Azoo Filter has a good amount of power to it, but it may be a little small for a 6.5g. Maybe the smallest aqua clear filters rated for 10g if you want HOB, or the small canister filters; Tom's Rapids or the ZooMed 501.

It should be a really cool tank once you get it set up. I'd love a tank with those dimensions. I love that Panoramic type view.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkgent001 View Post
It should be a really cool tank once you get it set up. I'd love a tank with those dimensions. I love that Panoramic type view.
I'm going to build it myself out of glass I got free on craigslist. If you'd like I can take some pictures during the construction and make a little how-to.

I'm really trying to keep this as minimalist and low cost as possible on the equipment side. How much filtration is really needed in these little tanks?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low cost you want?
Aim for lower amounts of light, to avoid co2, and perhaps you could try a Natural Plant Tank type - by Diana Walstad, low tech, low maint.
Also the plants that dirkgent001 suggested were good. Filterwise is your choice, but if you were aiming for cost and simplicity to obtain, i would go with an aquaclear.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
diy co2 doesnt really stink at all. i have about 4l in a cabinet at my office for a nano i have set up and no one has a clue!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode